This seminar is designed to provide attendees involved in debt collection with the basic legal framework and practical information concerning debt collections procedures. The seminar will cover various collection techniques and bankruptcy strategies available to creditors.
- Pre-lawsuit collection strategies
- The suit process
- What to expect when enforcing a judgment
- General bankruptcy issues
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act overview
- The attendee will be able to discuss strategies in legal collections.
- The attendee will be able to identify steps in the legal collection process.
- The attendee will be able to review bankruptcy considerations.
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
A. General Strategies
B. Pre-Suit Collection
C. The Litigation Process
D. Skip Tracing
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
A. Who Is Covered By The FDCPA And Who Can Be Contacted?
B. What Actions Are Prohibited By The Act?
C. When Can You Contact The Debtor And Others?
D. Where Can You Contact The Debtor?
E. How To Limit Your Exposure To FDCPA Liability
F. Recent Case Law Updates
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 12:40 p.m.
III. Post-Judgment Collection
A. Debtors Examinations
B. Third-Party Discovery
C. Writs Of Execution/Levy
D. Judgment Liens
E. Dormant Judgments
F. Wage Garnishments
G. Non-Wage Garnishments
12:40 p.m. - 1:40 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:40 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Break 3:10 p.m. - 3:20 p.m.)
IV. Bankruptcy Issues (Overview Of The Reform Act)
A. Chapters 7 And 13
B. Automatic Stay
C. Effects Of Bankruptcy On:
1. Pre- And Post-Petition Garnishments
2. Pre- And Post-Petition Bank Attachments
3. Foreclosure/Sheriff's Sale
5. Judgment Liens
D. Secured Claims
E. Unsecured Claims
F. Non-Dischargeability Issues
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Miscellaneous Issues
A. Pulling Credit Reports – Fair Credit Reporting Act
B. Service Members' Civil Relief Act
C. Questions And Answers