You will benefit from this seminar if:
- Your company offers a retirement plan to employees
- Your institution acts as custodian or trustee of IRAs or qualified plans
- You advise clients on when they have to remove funds, how long they can wait, and over what period they can take distributions.
- You advise clients or prepare income tax returns, including reporting of taxable distributions or penalties for failing to comply with the rules
- You advise clients on estate planning
- You advise or assist clients in the areas of retirement planning
- Reporting requirements for distributions
- Which distributions can be accepted as rollovers?
- When distributions must be made
- What methods of distribution are allowed?
- How to designate distributions to a trust
- Rules governing a charity as beneficiary
- Plan distributions and the estate tax marital deduction
- Considerations for the institution sponsoring an IRA account
- Penalties for early withdrawal and late withdrawal
- Treatment of plan loans and other irregular distributions
- Ability of creditors to reach IRA or plan assets
- How to evaluate a proposed QDROs
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Break 10:20 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
I. Definitions Necessary In Dealing With Distributions
II. Features Of IRA Accounts, ROTH IRAs And Various Retirement Plans
III. Tax Incentives Motivating The Establishment Of IRAs And Retirement Plans
IV. How Are Distributions Generally Taxed?
V. Forms Of Distribution
VI. Distributions In The Form Of Loans
VII. Hardship Distributions
VIII. Special Rules For 401(k) Distributions
IX. Rollover Distributions And Distributions That Are Eligible For Rollover
X. QDRO Distributions
XI. When Can Distributions Occur?
XII. Penalties For 'Premature' Distributions
XIII. Exceptions To The Rules On Premature Distributions
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Break 2:50 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
XIV. Distributions To Married Participants
XV. When Must Distributions Begin?
XVI. Penalties For Failure To Commence Minimum Required Distributions
XVII. Required Distribution Upon Death Of Participant Before The Required Beginning
XVIII. Required Distribution Upon Death Of Participant After The Required Beginning Date
XIX. Estates, Trusts And Charitable Organizations As Beneficiaries
XX. Key Dates With Respect To Distribution Of Death Benefits
XXI. Checklist For Custodians, Plan Administrators, Financial Institutions And Plan
XXII. Special Issues Concerning The Surviving Spouse As Trusteee
XXIII. Estate Planning Issues Involving Plans, IRAs And Community Property Law
XXIV. Bankruptcy Issues And Plan Accounts/Distributions
XXV. Estate Planning For Minors Using Plan And IRA Accounts
XXVI. Marital Deduction Planning Using Plan And IRA Accounts
XXVII. Post-Mortem Planning Using IRAs And Plan Accounts