This program is intended for attorneys, design professionals, owners and developers. The seminar will focus on an examination of AIA form contracts and their terms, including specific form contractual provisions. The primary provisions of the standard forms will be considered section by section. Methods of dispute resolution will also be discussed.
- A detailed analysis of the key provisions of the most commonly used AIA documents
- How have the courts interpreted the AIA forms?
- How do the AIA documents direct project administration?
- How can you enhance your project's success by a detailed knowledge of the AIA documents?
- The attendee will be able to discuss identification and notice of claim.
- The attendee will be able to identify owner's and contractor's responsibilities.
- The attendee will be able to review termination and default.
8:30 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
I. Overview – AIA Document Series
A. Traditional Design-Bid-Build
B. Construction Management
9:15 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
9:25 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
II. Owner-Architect Agreements
A. Scope Of Services
D. Ownership Of Documents
E. Construction Administration
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. The A-201 General Conditions Key Contract Clauses, Part I
A. Relationship With Other Documents
B. Owner's Responsibilities
C. Contractor's Responsibilities
D. Role Of The Architect
F. Shop Drawings
I. Correction Of Work
J. Coordination Of The Work
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. The A-201 General Conditions Key Contract Clauses, Part II
A. Differing Site Conditions
B. Changes In The Work
C. Time Extensions
D. Payment Procedure
E. Substantial Completion
F. Final Completion And Final Payment
G. Termination And Default
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
V. Claims And Claims Preparation
A. Identification And Notice Of Claim
B. Record Keeping
C. Delay Claims
D. Acceleration Claims
E. Defective Plans And Specification
F. Extra Work Claims
3:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VI. Dispute Resolution
A. Resolution Of Claims And Disputes-Notice
B. Architect Review
E. Litigation And Litigation Avoidance
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Questions And Answers