This seminar is intended to give attendees an understanding of the how parties in construction can successfully deal with the challenges of change orders and handle some of the risks in order to avoid disputes and claims. The program provides detailed examination of current issues and ways to handle these challenges to protect your interests and bolstering your position. The seminar also addresses defenses against claims.
- Comprehensive review of the causes and effects of changes and changed conditions on construction projects
- Discussion of the various contract clauses that govern the parties rights and obligations concerning changes and changed conditions
- Examination of Critical Path Method (CPM) schedule analysis and its use in analyzing project delay
- Discussion of the methods for pricing change orders and preparing the cost component of claims based on changes and changed conditions
- The attendee will be able to discuss the documentation of change orders.
- The attendee will be able to identify variation in quantities clauses.
- The attendee will be able to review impact, ripple and cumulative impact.
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
A. 'Change' As An Inherent Element Of The Construction Process
B. Risk Management In Construction Contracts
C. Addressing Changes And Changed Conditions In The Construction Contract
9:00 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
II. Addressing The 'Causes' Of Change Orders
A. Causes Of Change Orders
B. Differing Site Conditions
C. Owner Caused Changes
D. Designer Caused Changes
E. Force Majeure
10:10 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
10:20 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Legal And Contractual Issues In Change Orders
A. The Changes Clause
B. Directed Changes
C. Constructive Changes
D. Scope Of Work Disputes
E. Limitations On The Right To Make Changes
F. Changed Conditions Or Differing Site Conditions Clauses
G. Disclaimer Clauses
H. Exculpatory Clauses
I. Variation In Quantities Clauses
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. Change Orders And Scheduling Issues
A. Critical Path Method (CPM) Scheduling
B. Impact Of Changes On Schedule
D. Schedule Updates
E. Recovery Schedules
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
V. Pricing Change Orders
A. Lump Sum
C. Unit Prices
E. Change Order Mark-Ups
F. Impact, Ripple And Cumulative Impact
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Panel Discussion: Practical And Legal Considerations Concerning Change Orders
A. Change Orders And Claims
C. Documentation Of Change Orders
D. Dispute Resolution