The seminar provides an overview of privacy laws and medical records, and will educate attendees on appropriate and effective practices for licensed health care practitioners and institutional providers regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records, and eliminate confusion on the use and disclosure of patient medical records. Participants will learn and understand requirements for handling, storing, disposing of, producing and responding to requests for patient medical records, including a detailed discussion and analysis regarding Missouri law in connection with litigation (i.e., subpoenas, requests for production, etc.) in civil, administrative and criminal cases.
- The final HIPAA security implementation regulations of April 20th, 2005
- An update on the HIPAA privacy regulations of April 14, 2003
- The proposed OCR Enforcement Rules released April 13, 2005
- The recent Federal and State Civil/Criminal Court decision's analysis
- The record release rules of the General Counsel and Litigation Counsel
- The rules for release of medical records with and without consents and authorizations including mental health records
- The attendee will be able to discuss court admissibility standards.
- The attendee will be able to identify criminal, civil and administrative consequences for unauthorized release.
- The attendee will be able to review the statutory requirements under Missouri and Kansas medical records law.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Privacy Laws And Medical Records
A. The Statutory Requirements Under Missouri Medical Records Law
B. The Statutory Requirements Under Kansas Medical Records Law
C. Unique Issues As To What Constitutes A Medical Record, Including Medical Billing And Claim Forms
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. The Final Security Regulations Under HIPAA For A Covered Entity
B. Major Difference Between Draft And Final Security Rule
C. General Provisions
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
III. The Final Privacy Regulations Of HIPAA For A Covered Entity
A. Privacy Update
B. Paper Records
C. The Necessity To Prove Compliance
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
IV. Subpoenas, Search Warrants And Court Orders In Missouri, Kansas And
A. A Multitude Of Weaponry And Defenses To The Weaponry
B. Court Admissibility Standards For Paper And Electronic Medical Records
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Liabilities For Unauthorized Release Of Medical Records
A. Criminal, Civil And Administrative Consequences Including Licensor And Accreditations Loss
B. Verdicts In Missouri And Kansas, And Other Jurisdictions
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Operational Issues Including Records Management, Retention
Policies And Business Associates
A. Policies, Procedures And Implementation For An Electronic Medical Record System
1. Vendor Selection
2. Computer System Selection
4:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
VII. Comprehensive Medical Record Checklist For Risk Management And