Finally - something more on title examination than 45 minutes squeezed into one of those smorgasbord seminars!
This seminar covers the gamut, from nuts-and-bolts to specialty concerns.
- The recording gap and its impact on title
- Proposed changes in the Recording Act
- What should be in a title search?
- Resource for title professionals
- What title insurance covers
- Resolving title problems
- The attendee will be able to discuss the owner's and lender's policies.
- The attendee will be able to identify ancillary sources of information.
- The attendee will be able to review easements, restrictions, covenants, leases and severances.
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. Title Examination
A. County Records
B. System Of Examination
C. Books…And Pages/Searching And Abstracting
D. Ancillary Sources Of Information
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
II. Post-Closing And Recordation
A. Recordation Procedures And Requirements
C. Race/Notice And 'The Gap'
D. Cover Records
11:15 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.
III. Overview Of Title Insurance
A. What Is A Policy Of Title Insurance?
B. Characteristics Of Title Insurance
C. Title Insurer As An Agent: Sears And Walker v. Rogge
11:50 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:50 p.m. - 1:25 p.m.
IV. Commitment For Title Insurance
A. Difference Between A Title Search And A Title Commitment
B. Preliminary Issue To Commitment
C. Schedule A
D. Schedule B Part I
E. Schedule B Part II
F. Conditions And Stipulations
1:25 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
V. Title Insurance
A. The Owner's Policy
1. Insuring Provisions
2. Marketable Title
3. Exceptions From Coverage
B. Lender's Policy
1. Insuring Provisions
2. Extended Coverage vs. Standard Coverage
4. Special Risk Endorsements
5. Exceptions From Coverage
C. What The Policy Does Not Insure
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
VI. Closing Protection And Closing
B. Difference From Title Policy
2:45 p.m. - 3:20 p.m.
VII. Title Claims And Procedures
A. What Is A Title Claim?
1. The Duty To Defend/ Prosecute
2. The Duty To Pay
3. The Duty To Cooperate
B. How To File A Title Claim
C. Disclaimer Of Liability By The Insurer
1. Under What Circumstances Can An Insurer Disclaim Liability?
D. Ethics Of Counsel Representing Insured Under A Title Policy
1. How Long Can An Insured Expect To Wait For A Resolution?
3:20 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.
VIII. Types Of Problems
A. Boundary Lines
B. Breaks In The Chain
C. Defective Conveyances
E. Easements, Restrictions, Covenants, Leases And Severances
3:55 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IX. Curing Or Resolving Title
A. Conveyances And Releases
C. Adverse Possession
D. Civil Actions