This one-day seminar provides important and valuable information and strategies that can help the attendee solve water intrusion and mold problems in buildings.
- Understand why some buildings have moisture and mold problems and others don't
- Discuss legal considerations in sampling for mold
- Will provide a detailed checklist for preventing future moisture and mold problems
- Will address insurance coverage for mold claims
- Understand why 90% of all mold remediation projects go over budget and why many have a re-occurrence of mold problems
- Litigating or defending a mold claim
- The attendee will be able to discuss how to predict moisture and mold problems before the building is built.
- The attendee will be able to identify how to tell a $1,000 problem from a $100,000 problem.
- The attendee will be able to review the role of the consultant.
9:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
(Break 10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.)
I. Understanding The Causes Of
Moisture And Mold Problems
A. What You Need To Know About Building Envelopes And HVAC Systems That Cause Almost All Moisture And Mold Problems
B. Proven Techniques To Successfully Avoid Moisture Problems That Have Been Used Over The Past 15 Years And In $2+ Billion In Construction
C. Predicting Moisture And Mold Problems Before The Building Is Built Techniques That Walt Disney World Has Implemented
D. Handling Moisture Problems During Construction What The Smartest Contractors Already Do
II. Diagnosing Moisture Problems In
Order To Implement The Correct
A. Understanding The Tools That Can Effectively Analyze The Causes Of Moisture Problems What Are The Limitations Of These Tools?
B. Techniques That Can Differentiate Between Rainwater, Vapor And Air-Related Moisture Problems, Or... 'How To Fix The Right Problem The First Time'
C. How To Tell A $1,000 Problem From A $100,000 Problem And How To Prevent A $1,000 Problem From Becoming A $100,000 Problem
D. How To Tell A Design Problem From A Construction Problem
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
III. The Status Of Federal And State
Legislation Of Mold
A. Federal Legislation The 'Melina Bill': The United States Toxic Mold Safety And Protection Act Of 2003
B. State Legislation
IV. Think Before You Sample Legal
A. Developing Management Protocol And Standards For Routine Inspection And Monitoring
B. Employee Exposure Record Issue
C. Documenting Procedures To Identify Liability For Mold Claims Caused By Tenants' Action/Inaction
D. Implementing Periodic Investigations Of Existing Assets
E. Conducting Water Intrusion/Mold Inspections As Part Of Pre-Acquisition Due Diligence
V. Remediating Mold From A Legal
A. Fundamental Concepts Of Remediation
B. The Role Of The Consultant
C. Regulatory Guidance As To Safe Levels
D. Insurance Coverage For Mold Claims
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Mold Litigation
A. History And Current Status
B. Potential Defendants
C. Types Of Claims
D. Legal Theories Of Liability
E. Potential Damages
F. Possible Defenses
G. Experts, Evidence And Causation
H. Assessing Potential Liability Property Damage v. Personal Injury
VII. Survey Of Mold Cases
B. Other Jurisdictions
VIII. Information Management And
A. General Issues
B. Documentation Procedures