As health care practitioners in daily contact with human suffering, we are eager to add skills that can help. Learning to apply reflexology techniques to yourself and experiencing the effects in class gives you an excellent foundation for using them in your professional setting to enhance the quality and effectiveness of your work.
This course provides you with the skills to apply hand and foot reflexology techniques to patients and clients in numerous settings, and to instruct the patient in using reflexology for symptom relief. The clearing of a bladder infection can be remarkably enhanced or an asthma or allergy episode subdued with basic reflexology skills. The physical therapist and massage practitioner can easily integrate methods for relief of back, neck, knee, hip and sciatic pain into sessions. The midwife and OB nurse can help relieve the chronic discomforts of pregnancy with reflexology methods. Learning basic reflexology theory and skills and the most effective ways to apply them to yourself can also refresh and revitalize you, relieving a variety of symptoms surprisingly quickly.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Receive instruction and supervised practice in hand, thumb and finger techniques and safe body mechanics for hand and foot reflexology
- Learn quick, effective techniques for relief of symptoms (for patients, clients and yourself) including: back, neck, knee, hip and sciatic pain, headaches, sinus congestion, acid reflux, asthma and allergies, bladder and bowel health, maternity indications
- Identify the scope of reflexology, theories regarding its effectiveness, benefits and contraindications and possible effects
- Use reflexology landmarks, the grid and maps to identify areas on the feet and hands that correspond with symptoms in the body
- Define and understand the scope of contemporary reflexology
- State possible reasons for tenderness
- State contraindications and effects clients might experience
- Identify landmarks, zones and reflexes on the hands and feet for specific health conditions
- Demonstrate effective hand and foot reflexology techniques, applying appropriate pressure on specific reflexes
- Utilize healthy body mechanics while administering therapeutic reflexology
Please Bring With You:
- Portable massage table OR Lafuma chair
- One firm sleeping pillow
- One bath towel
- Clean feet
- Very short nails
- Nail file
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Judith Nourse, RN, ARCB, LMBT, is a Registered Nurse, Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist and Certified Reflexologist who began studying reflexology in 1994, when it completely alleviated severe sciatic pain she had experienced for two years. Impressed by its effectiveness, she became certified in the Laura Norman method and completed Level 1 instructor training. She was awarded certification by the American Reflexology Certification Board in 1997. Ms. Nourse is a seasoned instructor of reflexology who has maintained a private practice for 12 years. She taught basic reflexology to students in a professional massage program for four years and to adults in continuing education programs at Blue Ridge Community College and Brevard College, both in North Carolina. She also developed the program Self-care/Family Care Reflexology&153;, which she teaches to the public in physicians´ offices. Ms. Nourse has worked in various health care settings, including 14 years in dental hygiene and 10 years in clinical nursing (emergency, ambulatory surgery and psychiatric settings).
Ms. Nourse has training in other well-known methods of reflexology, including the Ingham method with Dwight Byers, the Flocco method with Bill Flocco and Ko Tan, the Advanced Reflexology Technique (ART) method with British endocrine reflexologist Tony Porter and in Meridian and 5 Element Reflexology with Lilian Tibshraeny-Morten. She recently completed case studies and assignments for certification in Maternity Reflexology with British midwife/reflexologist Susanne Enzer. Ms. Nourse is the founding President of the North Carolina Reflexology Association and is a member of the Reflexology Association of America and the International Council of Reflexologists.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"I learned more valuable techniques in
Judith's class than in many lengthier courses. It was orderly, simple, to the point, inspiring and fun! She creates a safe and relaxed environment." - Liz Adamson, massage student and NIA instructor, Brevard, NC
"Judith Nourse is a skillful practitioner and instructor of reflexology. The methods are easily learned, deeply relaxing and shown to be effective for promoting health and healing." - Charles Lefler, M.D., Center for Integrative Health and Healing, Brevard, NC
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Massage Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Registered Nurses
- Nurse Practitioners
- Holistic Health Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- Anyone licensed to provide hands-on care
- Anyone seeking to develop new skills to complement professional care and personal health practices
This seminar qualifies for 6 continuing education hours as required by many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations. Save your course outline and certificate of completion, and contact your own board or organization for specific filing requirements.
Cross Country Education is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Tennessee Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing
Center's Commission on Accreditation. Provider #044013109, this course is offered for 6.0 contact hours.
Cross Country Education is an approved provider with the Iowa Board Of Nursing, approved provider #328. This course is offered for 7.2 contact hours.
Cross Country Education is an approved provider by the Florida Board of Nursing, provider #50-466. This course is offered for 7.2 contact hours.
Cross Country Education is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 13345, for 7.2 contact hours.
Cross Country Education is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a
continuing education Approved Provider. Provider #450123-06. This course is offered for 6 CE hours.
SEMINAR CLASS TIME:
Seminar Check-in: 7:30 Seminar Class Time 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM