How to Establish Effective Internal Controls
Protect, maintain, and control your financial structure while streamlining your business operations
Gain the skills, knowledge, and information you need to create and implement an effective internal controls system.
Attend this valuable one-day seminar and learn how to ...
- Ensure compliance with government laws, rules, and regulations
- Strengthen the overall financial health of your organization
- Avoid careless — and costly! — financial practices
- Take stock of existing controls and identify weak spots
- Put systems in place to ensure legal compliance
- Gain a solid understanding of SOX, AICPA, and COSO
- Discover the objectives, components, and requirements of effective internal controls
- Develop risk identification and management strategies to put in place now
- And much, much more!
The financial health of an organization begins internally …
Internal controls are a critical part of any organization’s continued growth, performance, and success. Without an effective internal controls system in place, your organization may be at risk of legal retribution in a variety of areas, including faulty financial reporting, fraudulent practices, and much more. You may be held responsible for hefty fees and penalties, face serious lawsuits, become the target of increased auditing activity, or unknowingly run afoul of today’s stricter government laws, rules, and regulations.
This workshop was designed to give business leaders like you a working blueprint to help establish an effective, efficient internal controls system that is functional, practical, simple to implement, and in complete compliance with all of today’s complex legal guidelines.
This seminar features up-to-the-minute info on all the latest government rulings, regulatory requirements, and legal developments. Don’t miss your chance to stay abreast of trends, legislation, and laws relating to internal accounting, audits, compliance, reporting procedures, and more.
Who should attend?
This program is designed for financial professionals, business leaders, managers, supervisors — anyone who is involved in the day-to-day financial workings of an organization, as well as those who must oversee legal, financial, and accounting operations.
How to Establish Effective Internal Controls — Seminar Overview
Internal Controls Essentials
- Proven procedures for developing strong internal controls
- Types of internal controls that are critical to your organization’s financial health and operations
- The components of an internal controls system, and the criteria for assuring the effectiveness of each component
- SOX, COSO, and AICPA — gain a working understanding of the recommendations and requirements of each
- Methods for establishing systems that continually assure legal compliance, both short and long term
- Case Study: When careless practices cost ... and cost BIG! Learn from the mistakes, missteps, and oversights of otherwise strong organizations
- How to examine your existing internal controls and pinpoint trouble spots before they get out of hand
- Criteria to define just how strict, stringent, or structured your internal
control procedures should be
Risk Assessment and Management
- Today’s definition and scope of risk in the business environment
- Effective ways of determining risks and assessing potential impact
- How to use “dimensions of risk” to anticipate business process needs
- Hypothetical risk? Or a likely “risk reality”? How to realistically assess risk exposure and its impact to your organization
- Methods for trouble-shooting risk “hot spots” in your organization
Sarbanes-Oxley: Understanding and Complying with the Requirements
- How Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) has changed the legal ramifications of today’s internal control systems
- SOX, COSO, AICPA: how they work together, how they relate to each other, and how they affect your organization
- What internal controls are critical for SOX compliance?
- How to make sure your financial reporting and documentation is in line with SOX requirements
- Tips for ensuring compliance with SOX 302 and 404
- “Management Assessment of Internal Controls” — actions your accounting department needs to take to comply with this section of SOX
Operational Audits, Assessments, and Controls
- The purposes and desired outcomes of Operational Audits: why the OA is crucial to organizational effectiveness
- The core elements of Operational Audits
- Prevention and Detection: ways to improve your operations by building these essential elements into your processes
- When outside audit assessment is called for — how to locate a contractor and get the precise operational help you need
- Essentials of accounting audits — best practices to ensure effectiveness
- How to safeguard your organization against fraud, misconduct, sloppiness, and ethics breaches — the "Achilles Heel" issues of accounting controls
Bonus: When fiscal impropriety may be present — appropriate steps to investigating fiscal misconduct or fraud within your organization
Seminar Check-In 8:30 AM
Seminar Program 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM