Practical tools, great ideas, and savvy strategies to successfully manage your "virtual" employees
- 7 secrets for keeping team performance and productivity high
- Best methods for tracking off-site employee performance and progress
- How to coach, counsel, and mentor your employees from afar
- The top 10 ways managers "build or kill" off-site employee trust
- How to make the most of technology by learning ways to manage the flow of information and communication
- How to handle off-site power struggles, office politics, and employee conflicts
- And much, much more!
Management issues seem magnified when your employees work from remote locations
Whether your employees work from home, at a remote office, in the field, or travel so frequently they must check in from the road, the problems you face as a manager are increased tenfold when you
can't be there for your employees in person. Being a manager is hard enough when you are in frequent personal contact ... and when you
aren't, even the smallest problems can quickly spiral out of control.
Not being able to see employees face-to-face can really throw a wrench into your management style. Defusing conflicts, dealing with crises, delivering feedback (both positive and negative), monitoring work flow, offering support — your responsibilities as a manager get that much tougher when you
can't do it in person. Even something so simple as organizing an impromptu team meeting or calling for a group brainstorming session can become that much more complicated when team members work off-site.
Practical, real-world solutions address the unique problems off-site managers face every day ...
From legal compliance issues to the subtleties of motivating remote workers,
you'll come away from this training session fully equipped to manage a virtual office staffed with off-site workers. Whether you supervise a few home-based workers, or are responsible for managing several large remote office locations, this course will provide you with the critical information and proven skills necessary to take on your toughest off-site managerial challenges.
What you learn here will help you ...
- Bolster morale, spark enthusiasm, and increase motivation ... even if your workers are across town, across the country, or on the other side of the world
- Monitor performance and productivity more effectively without coming across as a meddling manager
- Determine when a face-to-face visit is necessary, and decide whether that visit should be a "surprise"
- Identify subtle warnings that could indicate trouble is brewing in off-site locations
- Conduct performance appraisals, hire, and even fire workers when you
can't be there in person to soften the blow
Who should attend?
This training was designed specifically to address the needs of those responsible for long distance, remote, or home-based employees. It is perfect for managers, supervisors, team leaders, department leaders, branch managers, administrators, regional managers, CEOs, CFOs, business owners, and others in positions of management or leadership.
How to Manage Off-Site Employees — Seminar Overview
Keys to effective off-site management
- What off-site employees want and need from their supervisors — the answers may surprise you!
- 7 secrets of managing high performing off-site teams
- How to encourage the accountability and reliability of your off-site employees
- How to establish work performance goals, standards, and controls for off-site success
- How you can be more responsive and supportive of employee needs and requests
- The essentials of setting clear expectations, performance guidelines, and measures
- Off-site leadership: Creating a strong sense of direction and keeping virtual employees and locations on track
- How to keep off-site staff linked to corporate goals and objectives
- Setting the internal controls and reporting systems that are necessary for monitoring individual and team performance
- How to manage projects that involve multiple locations and participants
- Priority, task, and delegation tracking: methods successful off-site supervisors use
- Efficient methods of tracking employee work performance and progress from afar
- How to identify attendance problems and attitude issues when
you're not there as a first-hand witness
- How to set and maintain consistent quality standards to be followed by off-site employees
Ensuring peak performance in your off-site team
- Performance Management for off-site employees — how it differs from on-site management practices
- How to eliminate work slowdowns, bottlenecks, and other issues that stand in the way of continuous improvement
- Success Metrics: Financial and other result numbers that you can use to measure productivity and keep tabs on performance
- Tips for successful one-on-one coaching, counseling, and mentoring over the phone
- How to keep motivation in off-site employees high, even when you
aren't there in person to deliver support and encouragement
- Steps to take when you first notice waning performance in your most dependable off-site workers
- Hiring, evaluating, and firing from a distance — what every off-site manager needs to know about these sensitive subjects
Teambuilding, cohesiveness, and connectivity
- Establishing a strong manager-employee relationship from a distance
- How to determine
what's really going on within a failing or fractured off-site team
- Creative ways to increase team cohesiveness and camaraderie
- Managing virtual employee relationships: How to “bond” with employees you
haven't met or don't often get to see
- Time to take charge! What to do when off-site situations are spinning out of control and a personal visit isn’t practical
- Staying connected with team members: When to email, when to stop by, and when to pick up the phone
- The newest ways of using technology to stay in touch
- Busted! How to deal with bad behavior and destructive attitudes at a remote site
- 7 simple steps to improving employee retention and job satisfaction
- Home-based workers: How to include and ignite the enthusiasm of the most isolate employees
- The first 5 things you must do when taking on a new site
Positive, productive communication and information flow
- How much contact is enough ... guidelines on frequency and depth of off-site employee communication
- How to establish communication protocols everyone on the team will benefit from
- Tips for streamlining your off-site records retention and document management practices
- Innovative ways to motivate the different personalities on your team
- How to make paper management easier for everyone
- Preventative maintenance and early warning systems: red flags off-site managers must be on the lookout for
- How to handle conflict when you
aren't there in person to interpret non-verbal clues
- Dealing with rumors, cliques, in-fighting, and other off-site shenanigans
- Off-site office politics, power struggles, and turf wars — tips to help you resolve these issues swiftly and effectively
- Using technology to keep the lines of honest, open communication flowing
Seminar Check-In 8:30 AM
Seminar Program 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM