Training Course Syllabus:
Update Your Contract Law Knowledge
Reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts can be one of the most important and tedious aspects of a business attorney's practice. Are you confident in your abilities to draft and negotiate legally sound contracts in your client's favor? This seminar will review the latest tips and techniques for writing contracts so you can remain up to date. Don't miss this opportunity to advance your contract negotiation and drafting skills. Register today!
- Review key contract terminology.
- Identify the essential covenants that should be in a contract.
- Understand the purpose of common contract provisions and how to draft them.
- Learn how to protect trade secrets and confidential information.
- Know how to draft enforceable restrictive covenants, including covenants not to compete.
- Use a contract to allocate risk.
- Understand the basic principles of forming contracts electronically.
- Gain an overview of some common types of contracts, including master agreements and LLC operating agreements.
- Use negotiation tools effectively to ensure good deals and avoid bad deals.
- Identify and employ remedies for breach of contract issues.
- Recognize how bankruptcy can affect contracts and specifically the assumption or rejection of terms.
- Review ethical issues such as rules of professional conduct.
- Common Elements of Business Contracts
9:00 - 10:00, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Common Terminology and Definitions
- Preamble and Recitals
- Essential Covenants
- Closing Provisions
- Contract Term
- Representations and Warranties
- IP Rights
- Restrictive Covenants and IP
- Covenants Not to Compete
- Risk Allocation Provisions
- Remedies for Breach
- Liquidated Damages
- Injunctive Relief
- Limitations of Liability
- Force Majeure
- Dispute Resolution
- Choice of Law
- Designation of Forum
- Assignment and Delegation
- Electronic Contracting
10:00 - 10:30, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Overview of Particular Types of Business Contracts
10:45 - 11:15, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Asset Purchase Agreements
- Stock Purchase Agreements
- LLC Operating Agreements
- Shareholder Agreements
- Master Agreements and Secondary Agreements
- Negotiation Strategies
11:15 - 12:15, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Steps to Ensure Good Deals
- Tips to Avoid Bad Deals
- Preliminary Agreements
- Letters of Intent
- Oral Representations
- Revoking an Offer
- Breach of Contract
1:15 - 2:15, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Enforceability Issues
- Addressing Disputes
- Calculating Damages
- Other Remedies
- Statutes of Limitations and Statutes of Repose
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy's Effect on Contracts
2:30 - 3:30, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Automatic Stay
- Ipso Facto Clauses
- Requirements of Assumption
- Standards for Rejection
- Contract Ethics
3:30 - 4:30, Trevor J. Belden, Michael Ray Smith and Robert K. Stanley
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Confidential Information of a Client
- Scope of Representation
- Conflicts of Interest