Training Course Syllabus:
Drafting Effective Estate Plans
Help Your Clients Meet Their Estate Planning Needs
Do you have a clear understanding of the basic tax issues, medical decisions, and planning documents that can complicate the estate planning and probate processes? Are you prepared to answer your clients' tough questions about planning for final wishes? Attend this basic-level seminar to gain insight into the fundamentals of preparing estate planning documents, including wills, trusts, and ancillary documents. Discover the pros and cons of using various types of documents, as well as the tax ramifications involved. Register today!
- Choose the planning document that is best suited for your client.
- Provide protection for minors, incompetent persons, and beneficiaries with special needs.
- Learn how and when to use revocable living trust, pour-over wills, and durable powers of attorney.
- Reduce your client's estate tax, gift tax and generation-skipping transfer tax.
- Use a living will or durable power of attorney for health care to help the client control end-of-life medical decisions.
- Handle ethical issues that arise in estate planning, such as competency of the client and conflicts of interest.
- FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF WILL DRAFTING
9:00 - 10:15, John M. Lynham Jr.
- Selecting the Vehicle - Initial Advice to the Client
- Checklist for Gathering Client Information
- The Statutory ABCs: What is Required?
- Methods of Designating Fiduciaries
- Disinheritance and No Contest Clauses - Will They Stand?
- Protective Clauses for Minors, Incompetent Persons and Beneficiaries With Special Needs
- Building Flexibility Into the Plan - Checklist of Special Provisions
- Practical Pointers With Sample Forms
- Developing a Document Preparation System
- USING LIVING TRUSTS AND POWERS OF ATTORNEY AS ESTATE PLANNING TOOLS
10:30 - 11:45, Jordan M. Ware
- Common Elements in Trust Agreements
- The Revocable Living Trust
- Why You Should Use It
- Disadvantages of Revocable Living Trusts
- Sample Pour-Over Will and Living Trust Agreements
- Durable Powers of Attorney
- BASIC TAX CONSIDERATIONS - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE PLAN
12:45 - 2:00, D. Chad Larson
- Tax Considerations of Drafting Living or Testamentary Trusts
- Marital Deduction Planning - Qualifications and Basic Formula Approaches
- Estate and Gift Taxes
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes
- Income Tax - Ramifications of Trusts
- ETHICS AND ESTATE PLANNING
2:00 - 3:00, Katherine M. Wiedmann
- Selected Ethical Rules Affecting the Estate Planner
- Who's Your Client? Conflict of Interest
- Representing Fiduciaries
- Competency - A Word to the Wise
- Clients With Diminished Capacity
- Safekeeping Property
- Attorney Fees
- PLANNING METHODS TO CONTROL MEDICAL TREATMENT
3:15 - 4:30, L. Laurel Lea
- What a Living Will Can and Cannot Accomplish
- Picking Up Where a Living Will Ends - Durable Powers of Attorney for Health Care/Health Care Proxy
- Preserving Your Client's Dignity Through the Patient Self-Determination Act
- Anatomical Gifts - Making the Difficult Decisions During Life and Upon Death