Training Course Syllabus:
Complex Child Custody and Support Issues in Divorce
Sophisticated Strategies for Streamlining Custody and Support Resolution
You know better than most that the anger and resentment at the end of a marriage too often leave children in the center of the "battlefield." This program will focus on the "messy" side of custody and support - the disputes, modifications after the decree is final and allegations of abuse, to name a few. Review procedures and gain expert strategies for navigating the court in seeking, contesting, defending and modifying parenting and support orders. Children's lives are at stake - get the tools you need to make the process as smooth and expeditious as possible. Register today!
- Learn to work efficiently with custody evaluators and gain practical tips for reviewing, analyzing and - if need be - contesting the evaluation.
- Get critical information on your rights to testing data to make the best use of the evaluation report.
- Be prepared to undergo the process of modifying an existing custody agreement at your client's request.
- Know how to advise your client on what rights grandparents and other third parties have in custody cases.
- Discuss how much impact the child's wishes and testimony should have when changing the agreement.
- Do you know what to do about visitation rights for an out-of-state parent? Find out here!
- Explore practical strategies for handling complicated relocation cases.
- Explore the latest support enforcement methods and ensure that they're legally compliant.
- Review the procedure for modifying support orders when a parent's income changes dramatically.
- Understand how changes in custody impact support calculations.
- Find out what the family court judge considers best practices in dealing with support and custody.
- Child Evaluations in Custody and Support Litigation
9:00 - 9:45, Kristy L. Hanson
- Custody Decision-Making Standards Today
- Analysis of Existing Custodial Environment
- Review and Analysis of Professional Custody Evaluations
- Contesting the Evaluation
- Gauging the Accuracy of the Child Testimony
- Allegations of Domestic Abuse
- Allegations of Substance Abuse
- Allegations of Mental Disability
- Modifying and Defending a Final Divorce Decree (Modifying Custody Issues)
9:45 - 10:30, Kristy L. Hanson
- Resolving Custody Disputes
- Requesting a Custody Order Vacation
- Timing Considerations
- Custody Order Modification Procedure Step-by-Step
- Alleging HIPAA Violations in Child Custody Litigation
- County-Specific Procedural Tips
- Initiating the Child Support Case
10:45 - 11:30, Grant W. P. Morrison
- Update on Governing Laws, Regulations, Court Cases
- Setting Child Support
- Major Jurisdictional Issues Involved in Support Disputes
- Modifying and Enforcing Child Support Decrees
11:30 - 12:15, Grant W. P. Morrison
- Support Order Modification Step-by-Step
- Timing Considerations and Deadlines
- County-Specific Procedural Tips
- Proving the Change in Financial Situation of a Parent
- Enforcement of Support Orders
- The Role of Bankruptcy in Support Disputes
- Parenting Plans in Detail
1:15 - 2:15, Laura H. Cabanilla
- Current Legislation and Case Law
- Legal Custody
- Physical Custody
- Drafting Effective Parenting Time Schedule Proposals
- Negotiating the Parenting Plan
- Parenting Coordinators
- Taking Into Consideration the Child's Preferences
- Cultural, Ethnicity, Sexuality and Religious Considerations in Custody Determination
- Third Party Custody Options
- Sample Parenting Plan, Forms and Pleadings
- Miscellaneous Issues in Custody and Support
2:30 - 3:30, Laura H. Cabanilla
- Fathers' Rights and Paternity Testing
- Custody and Support Issues for Unmarried Couples
- International Laws Involved in Relocating a Child Abroad
- Tips for Handling High-Conflict Personalities and Situations
3:30 - 4:30, Laura H. Cabanilla
- Attorney-Client Confidentiality
- Medical vs. Legal Ethics
- Appropriate Client Contact
- Mandatory and Voluntary Withdrawl of Legal Representation