Training Course Syllabus:
Probate Basics - Legal
Build a Solid Foundation for Your Probate Practice
Estates are as varied and complex as the decedents that leave them. In order to fully focus on the unique aspects of each case, you need to stand on the solid ground of impeccable knowledge of probate court procedure and tax law. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process and provide you with useful forms and practical wisdom for dealing with all interested parties. Get fully prepared to handle decedents' estates - register today!
- Know what must be done right away in the probate process and what planning options are still available.
- Clarify the role of the personal representatives, their duties, and how to coordinate efforts.
- Marshall and distribute assets and address creditor claims effectively.
- Get the latest tax update to ensure the final accounting and tax return is airtight.
- Know what to do with existing trusts after the grantor's passing.
- Uphold your impeccable reputation with a practical ethics guide focused on issues unique to probate practice.
- How to Keep the Estate Out of Probate
9:00 - 9:45, Kathleen C. Rose
- The Pros and Cons of the Probate Proceedings
- Assets Passing Outside of Probate
- Joint Tenancy and Shared Bank Accounts
- Beneficiary Designations
- Transfer on Death Deeds
- Other Pay-on-Death Accounts
- Gifting Assets
- Pros and Cons of Will vs. Trust
- Trusts and the Probate Process
- Probate Procedural Steps and Basic Forms
9:45 - 10:30, Kathleen C. Rose
- Small Estate Administration
- Recent Probate Changes
- Probate Procedures
- Enforcement of in Terrorem Clauses
- Sample Probate Forms, Motions and Checklists
- The Role and Duties of the Estate Representative
10:45 - 11:00, Richard E. Marsh Jr.
- Monetary Aspects of Probate
11:00 - 11:45, Richard E. Marsh Jr.
- Marshalling the Assets: Probate vs. Non-Probate Property
- Managing the Estate During Probate
- Notifying Creditors and Paying the Debts
- Valuating and Disposing of Property
- Selling the Family Home in Estate Administration
- How to Deal with the Insolvent Estate
- Dealing with All Concerned Parties
11:45 - 12:30, Richard E. Marsh Jr.
- Decedents' Heirs
- Surviving Spouse
- Estate Representative
- The Role of Attorney Ad Litem
- Other Interested Parties
(decedents' business partners, trust officers, accountants, bank, life insurance claims representatives, etc.)
- Estate Taxation
1:30 - 2:30, John H. Griffing
- Current State and Federal Tax Regime: Estate, Inheritance, Income, Gift, GST, Capital Gains
- Final Tax Return - Timeline, Forms and Filing Procedures
- Requesting Deadline Extensions
- Post-Mortem Tax Planning - Making the Best Use of Disclaimers
- Trust Administration Basics
2:45 - 3:30, John H. Griffing
- Changes at Decedent's Death
- Investment Rules and Fiduciary Duties
- Trustee Duty to Notify Beneficiaries
- Periodic and Final Distributions
- Decanting and Termination
- Legal Ethics in Probate Practice
3:30 - 4:30, Richard E. Marsh Jr.
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees in Probate Court
- Lawyers Acting as Financial Advisers
- Client Mental Capacity Issues
- Notice Requirements
- Practical Tips for Handling Delays
- The Importance of Tracking Time
- Disbursing Assets at the Right Time
If you reside outside the US or Canada please
International Registrants Policy before registering