Training Course Syllabus:
Business Tax Planning Guide
- Accounting Tax Training Seminar
Plan for Tax Implications Throughout the Life of a Business
It's important for any business to develop a tax planning strategy in order to protect assets and minimize financial consequences. Are you able to confidently advise clients on tax planning arrangements that reduce or eliminate tax obligations? Become the qualified professional your client seeks to assist with entity selection and formation, asset and entity sales, deductions, and sales and use tax from the start-up process to daily operations and business succession planning or dissolution. This program is designed to give a comprehensive overview of business tax guidelines so you can optimize decisions that both protect assets and minimize tax liability. Register today!
- Understand the tax consequences of selecting a corporation vs. a pass-through entity, and compare key differences so you can select which is best for your client.
- Identify situations when a like-kind exchange can be used to avoid a taxable transaction.
- Know how to reduce or defer the payment of beneficiary taxes on newly transferred businesses.
- Be able to confidently identify when a business has nexus in a state.
- Review the appeals procedures for an audit.
- Tax Implications of Entity Selection
9:00 - 10:30, Catherine M. Moseley
- Differences Between S-Corporation and Partnership Flow Through Taxation
- Treatment of Losses
- Debt Restructuring and Cancellations
- Capital Accounts and Future Profits Interests, Deficit Restoration of Capital Accounts/Minimum Gain Chargebacks and Qualified Income Offsets
- Equity-Based Compensation Planning
- Non-Liquidating Distributions and Dividends
- Planning for Self-Employment Tax
- Capital Contributions, Distribution of Appreciated and Depreciated Property
- Death or Retirement of a Member and Tax Alternatives
- Business and Daily Operations - Tax Must Knows
10:45 - 12:00, Marcus D. Dunn
- Expensing Election - Section 179
- Deductions and Tax Benefits for "Going Green"
- Rules Specific to Leases
- Last-In, First-Out (LIFO) Benefits
- Gain Deferral and Installment Sales
- Like-Kind Exchanges
- Preparing for Related Party Transactions
- Executive Compensation Arrangements
- Nonqualified Stock Options
- Incentive Stock Options
- Restricted Stock and the 83(b) Election
- Nonqualified Deferred Compensation and Section 409A
- Tax Attributes and Issues
- Net Operating Losses
- Legal and Tax Considerations When Selling a Company
1:00 - 2:15, Marcus D. Dunn
- Selling to an Unrelated Third Party and Compliance
- Equity Sale vs. Asset Sale
- Legal Considerations
- Federal Tax Considerations
- State Tax Considerations
- Mitigation of Tax Consequences
- Allocation of Purchase Price
- Installment Sales
- Contingent Considerations and Earn Outs
- Maintaining Equity Positions and Tax Deferral
- Clarifying Confusion of Sales and Use Tax Nexus
2:15 - 3:15, Frank L. Dantonio
- Overview of Nexus Statutes, Regulations and Case Law
- Quill Corp. v. North Dakota Interpretations
- Goeffrey, Inc. v. Commissioner of Revenue Analysis
- Clarify Statutory vs. Constitutional Nexus
- Economic Presence vs. Physical Presence Nexus
- Judicial Interpretations of "Solicitation"
- Independent Contractor and Employee Issues
- "Red Herrings" in the Sales/Use Tax Nexus Analysis
- Nexus Checklist
- State Audit Issues and Record Keeping Best Practices
3:30 - 4:15, Frank L. Dantonio
- Common Triggers for an Ohio Audit
- What to Expect Before, During and After an Ohio Audit
- Record Retention Requirement
- Physical vs. Electronic Recordkeeping Guidelines
- Documents to Keep Forever
- Update of Internet Purchases
4:15 - 4:30, Frank L. Dantonio
- Streamlined Sales Tax Project (SSTP)
- Marketplace Fairness Act (MFA)
- What is Ohio Use Tax?