Training Course Syllabus:
Everyday Tips, Risks and Best Practices
Email is the everyday reality of our personal and professional lives, and its use brings new ethical questions, pitfalls and challenges. Are you protecting yourself and your clients to the greatest extent? Are you storing emails properly? What can and can't you say in an email and why? What unwanted data can be included in a screenshot? Let our experienced attorney faculty bring you up to speed on protecting confidentiality and guarding privacy in email. Register today!
- Clarify attorney duties and get the latest case law on lawyer use of email.
- Prevent inadvertent disclosure via email attachments.
- Get simple, practical guidance and tools for ethical compliance in your everyday use of email.
- ATTORNEY DUTIES, STATUTES AND CASE LAW REGARDING EMAIL
8:45 - 9:15 and 1:00 - 1:30, Jessica Bernard
- Must an Attorney Maintain an Active Email Account?
- Duty of Confidentiality
- Duty to Warn Client of Potential Breach of Confidentiality
- Reasonable Expectation of Privacy
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) and United States v. Warshak
- SENDING EMAILS TO CLIENTS, OPPOSING COUNSEL, THE COURT AND THIRD PARTIES
9:15 - 10:00 and 1:30 - 2:15, Jessica Bernard
- Password Protection
- Client Newsletters and Mass Emails
- Addressing the Message: Autofilling, CC, BCC, Reply All
- "Delay Send" Option
- Subject Line, Attachments and Screenshots
- Enforceability of Legal Disclaimers (In-Text Waiver Language)
- Access to Emails of Former Firm Associates/Partners (PA Opinion 2013-4)
- Client Contact via Employer-Sponsored Email
- Sharing Practice Tips via Email List Servers
- Email Discovery - Is it Protected under 4th Amendment?
- Risks in Using Your Smartphone to Text and Email Clients
- INADVERTENT DISCLOSURE
10:15 - 10:40 and
2:30 - 2:55, Jessica Bernard
- DATA SECURITY AND CLOUD STORAGE - DOES THE EMAIL YOU DELETE REALLY DISAPPEAR?
10:40 - 11:20 and 2:55 - 3:35, Lynn Weddle Judkins
- How Long do Emails Stay on Provider Servers?
- Are they Encrypted? Who has Access to Them?
- Are they Discoverable?
- Using Services that Default to Storing Emails and Other Data in the Cloud
- How to Retain Emails Important to the Case
- CREATION AND TERMINATION OF ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP
11:20 - 12:00 and 3:35 - 4:15, Lynn Weddle Judkins
- When is Attorney-Client Relationship Created?
- Responding to Internet/Website Inquiries
- How Much Information Should You Request and Provide?