Training Course Syllabus:
Develop agreements as unique as the transactions they represent.
Boilerplate agreements have made your job much simpler – or have they? While these agreements are easy to use, they usually fail to adequately represent the specific transaction. You frequently have to tailor the documents to the situation, but may not have sufficient insight into how your company or firm negotiates, prepares or executes the deals they represent. You are not alone. Most paralegals handle these types of documents on a daily basis, often without formal education or training. Whether you create templates, perform due diligence or handle execution-ready documents, you will find the information in this program invaluable.
Our experienced faculty will provide you with:
- Insight into the drafting and reviewing skills an attorney expects from a paralegal.
- The ability to write concisely and effectively.
- A focus on basic grammatical issues that can be translated into the drafting process.
- An understanding of the key elements of corporate transactional documents.
- Techniques for tailoring forms to specific situations.
- Ways to recognize key issues and avoid problematic areas.
- An in-depth examination of all aspects of contract preparation and review.
9:00 - 9:30, B. Paul Briones
- The Move Towards Better Writing
- Skill Sets: Drafting vs. Reviewing
- How These Skill Sets Can Help You
- PREPARING YOURSELF TO WRITE
9:30 - 10:15, B. Paul Briones
- Know Your Audience
- Creating and Using Checklists
- Forms and Other Tips
- WRITING IN PLAIN ENGLISH
10:30 - 11:15, B. Paul Briones
- What Does it Mean?
- How it Benefits Your Writing
- COMMON ISSUES AND PROBLEMATIC WORDS AND PHRASES
11:15 - 12:00, B. Paul Briones
- Defined Terms
- Integration Clauses
- Shall vs. Must vs. May
- Exhibits and Schedules
- REVIEWING CONTRACTS
1:00 - 2:00, B. Paul Briones
- The Importance of a Thorough Document Review Process
- Grammatical and Substantive Review Guidelines
- Redlining and Other Tools to Increase Your Efficiency
- DRAFTING OVERVIEW
2:00 - 2:45, Orlando Lucero
- Organizing the Document
- Designing the Document
- DISCUSSION OF BASIC CONTRACT PROVISIONS
3:00 - 4:00, Orlando Lucero
- Introductory Clauses
- Effective Use of Recitals
- Notice Addresses
- How to Handle Dates
- Signature Blocks
- Brief Overview of Notary Public Duties
4:00 - 4:30, B. Paul Briones
- Practical Tips and Shortcuts
- How to Take and Use This Information Back at Your Office