Training Course Syllabus:
Get Practical Instruction From Both Sides of the Table and Apply it to Your Next Auto Case
The one rule of auto accident practice is that no matter how similar the cases look – they're never the same. How do you manage this infinite variety? We'll help you develop simple practical skills and checklists to streamline the process and avoid missing any pertinent issues or steps. Spend a full day on a detailed review of two representative car accident cases and get the tools you need to win your next auto dispute. The program is team-taught by plaintiff and defense counsel to give you a balanced view of the process. Register today!
- Let our team of plaintiff and defense attorneys walk you through two typical car crash cases from the time of the collision through settlement negotiations.
- Explore the ethical implications of the tripartite relationship and guard your impeccable reputation.
- Take all factors into account when determining damages – find out how counsel from both sides of the table support their calculations.
- Understand how Medicare set-sides and medical liens affect the size of the settlement, and incorporate them into your negotiations.
- Find out how seasoned attorneys negotiate compensation for whiplash.
- Gain practical tips for effective communication with the adjuster and maximize your chances for successful settlement.
- Find out what to look for in medical records and where to find it.
- Getting the Case off on the Right Foot
9:00 - 10:00, Stephen L. Banko Jr.
- Case Screening and Initial Client Interview
- Preliminary Investigation of the Collision
- Initial Pleadings and Motions
- Who are You up Against? Assess the Reputation and Ability of Opposing Counsel
- Who is the Defendant? How Will the Jury See Him/Her?
- Who is the Plaintiff? Prior Injuries, Prior Litigation History
- Collision Trauma 101
10:15 - 11:15, Stephen L. Banko Jr.
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Skeletal Damage
- Soft Tissue
- Evaluating and Deciphering Medical Records
11:15 - 12:15, Michael P. McDonald
- Do You Need an Expert to Calculate the Damages?
- Past Medical Bills
- Future Medical Bills
- Lost Earnings
- The General Population Income Level in the Jurisdiction
- General Damages
- Loss of Employment or Life
- Pain and Suffering (Past and Future)
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Medical Liens
- Insurance Coverage Basics
1:15 - 2:15, Michael P. McDonald
- Auto Liability Coverage
- Bad Faith
- New Insurance Trends and Challenges
2:15 - 3:15, James D. Greenberg
- Conflicts of Interest
- Ethical Ramifications of the Relationship Between the Insurer, Insured and Defense Counsel
- Attorneys' Fees
- Medical Records Privacy – HIPAA
- Settlement Negotiations
3:30 - 4:30, James D. Greenberg
- When and How to Use Mediation
- When and How to Use Arbitration
- Strategies for Early Resolution
- Communicating With the Adjuster