Training Course Syllabus:
Focus Your Efforts on Techniques That Work
This engaging course will take you to the basics of estate planning and beyond with old and new techniques that our attendees have voted to be the most effective in their practice. Find out what makes these 10 estate planning tools “superstars” and gain practical tips for maximizing their uses. Enroll today!
- A simple will remains one of the most effective tools in estate planning – learn how to phrase it to maximize its effectiveness.
- Gain practical tips for drafting legally defensible transaction agreements to make sure the gifts are properly documented.
- Help your client transfer a business to beneficiaries without diminishing its value or surrendering too much control.
- Protect yourself with thorough knowledge of laws and regulations governing the actions of fiduciaries.
- Learn why it´s important to know when to file the tax return for grantor trusts.
- Determine whether a client qualifies as a beneficiary of a special needs trust and gain tips for drafting one.
- Don´t reinvent the wheel – modify our sample trust documents to create airtight qualified personal residence trusts.
- Maximize your asset protection: learn how to make sure all your clients´ assets are accounted for in the trust documents.
- Create clear final instructions and last wishes to lift the burden of funeral planning from heirs.
- Use spendthrift language in ILITs to limit the ability of beneficiaries to assign interest and creditors to make demands on the trustees to pay the debts of beneficiaries.
ADVANCE MEDICAL DIRECTIVES
9:00 - 10:30, Michael H. Erde
- Appointing the Right Health Care Proxy
- What to Include in a Living Will
- HIPAA Release Authorization
- Burial and Funeral Designations
- Durable Power of Attorney
10:45 - 11:45, Lucy K. Park
- Checklist for Gathering Client Information
- Must-Have Provisions – Drafting Do´s and Don´ts
- Building Flexibility into the Plan – Checklist of Special Provisions
- Methods of Designating Fiduciaries
- Keeping the Clients Current on Their Wills
- Educating Your Clients on the Harm of Writing Someone Out of the Will
- Practical Pointers and Sample Will Review
ANNUAL EXCLUSION GIFTING
12:45 - 1:45, Alison E. Lothes
- Determining Recipients of the Gifts
- Choosing the Most Highly Appreciated Assets for Annual Gifting
- Minimizing Gift and GST Taxes
- Reporting to the IRS
- Maximizing Annual Exclusion and Lifetime Exemption Gifting
- Gifting Techniques
1:45 - 2:45, Rebecca Wallenfelsz
- Overview of the Wealth Transfer Charitable Tax Deduction
- Helping the Client Choose a Qualified Charity
- Requesting Donation Confirmation Documents From Charity
- Charitable Lead Trusts
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Generation Skipping Planning
- Charitable Giving and the Zero Estate Tax Plan
TRUST PROTECTORS AND SPECIAL FIDUCIARIES
3:00 - 4:30, Benjamin N. Feder
- What is a Trust Protector
- Why Consider a Trust Protector?
- Estate and Gift Tax Concerns of Using a Trust Protector
- Creditor Protection Concerns With Use of Trust Protector
- Trust Protector Powers
- Who May Act as a Trust Protector?
- Limitations on the Trust Protector´s Powers
- Trust Protector as Fiduciary (or Not)
- Drafting Considerations
- Trust Advisor