Training Course Syllabus:
Map Out A Clear Support Plan For Your Client
Nothing is more critical in divorce proceedings than a secure future for your client, both emotionally and financially. The importance of establishing clearly defined support obligations cannot be overemphasized. This unique program will examine the laws and procedures that apply to both child and spousal support and what they mean to your clients. Enroll today!
- Provide up-to-the-minute advice: know how key statutes and current rulings impact the support cases you're working on.
- Stay on top of cutting edge issues in current child support enforcement.
- Accurately calculate child support payments with our sure-fire best practices.
- Gain insider's tips for correctly filing an order for support.
- Develop a plan of action in the event that the support order needs to be modified.
- Expand you client base by understanding cohabitators' rights.
- Determine the duration that support will be needed for your client to ensure they are taken care of long-term.
- Factor tax consequences of maintenance and separate maintenance payments into the settlement to ensure your client is not unduly burdened.
- Handle either side of a divorce case: we'll show you how.
- Learn about the key issues that need to be addressed before spousal support can be determined.
- Find out how to calculate realistic maintenance payments based on specific criteria.
- CHILD AND SPOUSAL SUPPORT UPDATE
9:00 - 10:15, Linda J. Lawrence
- Legislative Developments
- Key Laws, Statutes and Acts
- Recent Case Law Decisions
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CHILD SUPPORT GUIDELINES
10:30 - 11:45, Linda J. Lawrence
- Briefing on Current Child Support Guidelines
- Determining Gross Income
- Calculating the Child Support Payment
- Interstate Jurisdiction Issues
- Can a Judge Deviate From the Guidelines?
- HOW TO OBTAIN AN ORDER FOR SUPPORT
12:45 - 2:00, Susan S. Donofrio
- How and When to File for an Order for Support
- Preparing for the Hearing
- Handling Support Order Modifications
- Enforcement Motions and Orders
- Tax Consequences to be Aware Of
- Issues in Enforcement and Collection
- How to Terminate Child Support Orders
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
2:00 - 3:00, Susan S. Donofrio
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues
- The Attorney/Client Relationship
- HOW TO DETERMINE SPOUSAL SUPPORT
3:15 - 4:30, Kerry L. McCormick