Examine Process of Parenting Plans From Start to Finish and Gain Helpful Skills Along the Way
Determining the fate of children is an exposed nerve in nearly every divorce case. This fundamental course offers you the skills to get started on custody practice and the tools to come out of any divorce case involving it with your sanity intact. Build a solid foundation for your custody practice with real-world tips from experienced practitioners and a family law judge. Register today!
- Discover what an acting family court judge feels are the most important aspects of parental disputes.
- Discuss the meaning of “the best interests of the child” concept and how the courts have interpreted it over the years.
- Know what case-supporting data to look for in the parenting plan.
- Use tips from expert practitioners not to let your client sabotage the case by volunteering information or giving in to anger.
- Forestall conflicts of interest by clearly identifying who your client is.
- Know the steps involved in the process of modifying an existing parenting plan.
Defining Major Custody Concepts
9:00 - 10:00, Darcia C. Tudor
- Clarifying “the Best Interests of the Child”
- Developmental Stages of Children
- “Continuity” and “Permanence” in the Child's Psychological Attachments
- Guardians' Ad Litem and CASAs' Role and Responsibilities in Proceedings to Establish a Permanent Parenting Plan
- Parenting Plan Variations
- Desicion-Making-Sole vs. Joint
- Customized Variations of Each
- Residential Provisions (Overnight Residential Time, Supervised Residential Time, Etc.)
- Paternity, Third Party Custody, De Facto Parentage, Dependency, Guardianship
Basic Procedural Steps
10:00 - 10:30 and 10:45 - 11:15, Lisa K. Barton
- Jurisdiction and Relevant Law (UCCJEA)
- Who is the Decision-Maker? (Judge vs. Other Neutrals)
- Initiating the Action: Step-by-Step Process
- Dissolution/Legal Separation
- Domestic Partnerships
- Unmarried Parents
- Parenting Plan Modifications
- Non Parental Custody
- Sample Petitions and Motions
- Obtaining and Using Guardian Ad Litem Report – Sample GAL Report Review
Effective Discovery – Proving Who the Current Primary Caregiver Is
11:15 - 12:15, Mark A. Brown
- Subpoena Duces Tecum
- Request for Admissions
- The GAL Files and Records
Making the Best Use of Custody Mediation and Parenting Coordinators
1:15 - 2:15, Don P. Desonier
- Prior to Trial/After Trial
- Qualifying the Neutral: What Should you Look for?
- Determining the Fee Arrangement
- Attorney's Role in the Process
- Preparing Your Client
Judge's Perspective on Custody Determination Process
2:15 - 3:15, Hon. Deborah D. Fleck
3:30 - 4:30, Alan S. Funk
- Limits of Confidentiality and Appropriate Disclosures
- Representing the Child vs. Representing the Parent – Conflicts of Interest