An Introduction to Traditional and Alternative Energy Projects
As the U.S. continues to seek energy reform through new initiatives, policies and incentives, energy law has become a hotbed of activity. Laws are changing on the federal, state and local levels to encourage large-scale development by public utilities, as well as smaller renewable energy projects by local business and homeowners. However, these traditional and alternative energy projects come with liability and legal issues attached. This timely seminar will examine some of the basic issues arising in energy law today and prepare you to knowledgeably advise on energy projects. Register today!
- Gain a firm foundation of practical knowledge on energy law and development projects, so you can assist clients in this growing market.
- Examine the legal intersection of energy initiatives with land use and leasing, tax exemptions and credits, estate planning and contract law.
- Explore the key clauses in lease and easement agreements for both traditional and alternative energy projects.
- Stay current on federal, state and local law changes, as well as new energy programs and incentives.
- Safeguard clients from the liability and legal issues involved with energy development projects.
- Oil and Gas Title Examination Basic Terms
9:00 - 10:30, Kraettli Q. Epperson
- Overview of Title Conveyancing Process
- Agreements in Conveyancing Documents
- Terminology Covering Oil and Gas Interests for Title Purposes
- Oil and Gas Leases
10:45 - 12:00, Timothy C. Dowd
- Case Law Update
- General Overview of Standard Lease and its Technical Requirements
- Key Clauses
- Granting Clause and Habendum Clause
- Primary Term
- Shut-in Gas Royalty Clause
- Pooling and Unitization Clauses
- Royalty Clauses and Lease Bonuses
- Pugh Clause
- Top Lease and Preferential Right to Lease Clause
- Implied Covenants
- Landowner Liability for Title Defects and Non-Compliance
- Lease vs. Unleased Working Interest Owner
- Electricity Law Overview
1:00 - 2:30, William L. Humes
- Electric System Basics
- Introduction to Electric Utility Regulation
- Energy Efficiency and Demand Response
- Oklahoma Appeal Process
- Wind Power Projects
2:45 - 3:30, Cheryl A. Vaught
- Types of Wind Projects
- The Wind Development Process and Legalities Involved
- Governmental Incentives
- Power Purchase Agreements – Key Provisions and Strategies
- Land and Site Control Agreements
- Environmental Issues
- Interconnection Process and Transmission Issues
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and State Commission Issues
- Ethical Considerations
3:30 - 4:30, Jeff Cloud