Explore Common Risks and Protections Associated With Your Clients' Assets
The ailing economy and baby boomers nearing retirement age have created a unique financial environment, giving rise to new threats and opportunities in asset protection. Are you using all the tools at your disposal to ensure your clients' financial stability? This legal course offers a comprehensive overview of asset protection concepts and their real-life application and has been called the only course you'll ever need on asset protection. Get all the information you need to ensure a prosperous future for your clients and permanently add asset protection to the list of your areas of practice. Enroll today!
- Pick the right tool for the job: learn how to custom-tailor asset protection vehicles to best fit clients' goals.
- Make the best use of pre- and post-marital agreements to enhance financial planning in the context of marriage.
- Choose the right business entity to fit the client's needs: explore the build-in protections of various business structures and their limitations.
- Maximize the effectiveness of the charging order in protecting business assets from becoming accessible to personal asset creditors.
- Understand the unique characteristics of various trusts to be prepared for the specific challenges associated with each one.
- Give your clients as much control over their assets as you can without risking creditor access to funds.
- Guard against fraudulent transfers with a legislative update and a detailed analysis of what not to do.
- Get practical tactics for using retirement plans to protect assets.
- Walk through a comprehensive planning scenario to see the principles applied by experienced attorney faculty.
- INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW OF ASSET PROTECTION
8:30 - 9:15, Jacob Stein
- What is Asset Protection?
- Four Threshold Questions
- Who is the Debtor?
- What is the Nature of the Claim?
- Who is the Creditor?
- What is the Nature of the Assets?
- COLLECTING ON JUDGMENTS
9:15 - 9:45, Jacob Stein
- Statutory Collection Laws
- Other Creditor Remedies
- FRAUDULENT TRANSFERS
9:45 - 10:15, Jacob Stein
- The Rules and Risks Overview
- Current State Law
- Types of Fraud
- The "Good Faith" Defense
- PLANNING IN THE CONTEXT OF MARRIAGE
10:30 - 11:15, Jacob Stein
- Common Types of Assets and Risks
- Available Planning Techniques
- Premarital Agreements
- Postnuptial and Transmutation Agreements
- In Divorce
- CHOICE OF ENTITY IN ASSET PROTECTION
11:15 - 12:15, Jacob Stein
- Sole Proprietorship
- General Partnership
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Company
- Charging Order Protection
- Protecting Assets Within Entities
- Charging Order Limitation
- Eroding Protection of Single-Member LLCs
- Creative Asset Protection Planning With LLCs
- Series LLCs
- Use of Foreign LLCs
- USE OF TRUSTS IN ASSET PROTECTION
1:15 - 2:15, Jacob Stein
- Spendthrift Trusts
- Discretionary Trusts
- Self-Settled Trusts
- Alaska Trusts
- Pitfalls to Avoid
- Planning to Maximize Protection of Trusts
- FOREIGN TRUSTS
2:15 - 3:15, Jacob Stein
- Basic Rules and Principles Overview
- How to Make Foreign Trusts Effective
- Risks of Foreign Trusts
- Tax Treatment
- Foreign vs. Domestic for Tax Purposes
- Tax Treatment of Foreign Trusts
- Grantor Trust Rules
- Reporting Requirements
- Choosing the Right Jurisdiction
- Advanced Planning With Foreign Trusts
- USING RETIREMENT PLANS IN ASSET PROTECTION
3:30 - 4:00, Jacob Stein
- Qualified Plans
- Non-Qualified Plans
- COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING EXAMPLE
4:00 - 4:40, Jacob Stein