Use Liens Management to Reach the Most Favorable Auto Injury Settlement
Failing to account and negotiate for liens can be disastrous for the plaintiff as well as lienholders. Join us for a focused analysis of liens management in car crash litigation and find out how and by whom claims are commonly asserted, and what to do to ensure a favorable settlement. Take your auto injury practice to the next level - register today!
- Learn to anticipate, track down and prioritize liens that will affect the settlement.
- Delve deeper into the Medicare set-aside rules and find out how they affect your cases.
- Understand how settlement award monies can jeopardize the plaintiff's eligibility for government benefits and how to address it in settlement negotiations.
- Follow the stringent timelines and procedures for asserting your lien to ensure payment.
- Explore all the resolution approaches to find out which is most effective in specific circumstances.
- Gain practical tips for introducing lien considerations at trial.
INVESTIGATING THE LIENS
9:00 - 10:15, Julie R. Burkett
- Discovering All Potential Lien Holders
- Requesting Information/Communicating With Lien Holders
- Determining the Priorities of Liens and Formulas for Reimbursement
TREATMENT OF MEDICAL LIENS
10:30 - 11:45, Julie R. Burkett
- Ambulance Liens
- Health Maintenance Organizations
- Physician and Hospital Liens
- Physical Therapy
12:45 - 1:45, James R. Howard
- Rules of Professional Conduct as They Apply to Auto Litigation Practice
- Protecting Subrogation
- Avoiding Other Conflicts of Interest
- Maintaining Client Confidentiality
- Medical Records Treatment Under HIPAA
2:00 - 3:15, James R. Howard
- Addressing Pending Liens in Settlement Negotiations
- Practical Tips for Mediation
- Post-Judgment Collection
SUBROGATION LIENS IN DETAIL
3:15 - 4:30, Andrew D. Ryan
- Government Right of Reimbursement
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Medicaid Set-Asides
- Veteran's Benefits
- Military Liens
- The Effect of Settlement Monies on Government Benefits Eligibility
- Workers' Compensation Liens
- Distribution of Benefits
- Employer Liability
- Insurance Subrogation Liens