Enhance Your Cases With Superior Deposition Skills
You can confidently look forward to your next deposition after attending this seminar. Learn the latest trends as well as the tried and true methods that our faculty have been using successfully for years. This important seminar will help you to develop a flexible style that will enable you to roll with the punches, no matter what comes your way.
- Tap into your legal training and core oratory skills for better depositions.
- Develop proper preparation skills to increase your success.
- Get witnesses ready for anything with pre-deposition preparations.
- Gain insight on strategy from the defendant's point-of-view.
- Get insider's skills for taking deposition.
- Learn how to maximize the benefit and minimize the risk.
- PREPARING FOR THE DEPOSITION
9:00 - 10:00, Thomas D. Birge
- When to Take a Deposition, When to Pass
- Common Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing Experts
- Developing Your Discovery Strategy
- Factor in the Financial Risks
- What is the Purpose of the Deposition?
- Knowing the Rules: FRCP and State
- Deposition Notices and Priority
- Past Interviews and Discovery Revisited
- Preparing Exhibits
- Preparing for Various Personalities: Deponents and Opposing Counsel
- PREPARING THE WITNESS
10:15 - 11:00, Thomas D. Birge
- Paint a Picture of Players, Setting and Recording Equipment
- Discuss Clothing, Body Language, Pace, Tone and Voice
- The Witness's Role: Do's and Don'ts
- Update the Witness on all the Facts and Documents
- What to Expect From Opposing Counsel
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
11:00 - 12:00, Bryan D. Cross
- Rules of Professional Conduct as They Relate to Depositions
- Potential Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney-Client Privilege and Work-Product Doctrine
- TAKING THE DEPOSITION
1:00 - 2:00, Howard J. Beck
- Handling the Preliminaries
- Setting the Tone
- Choose Your Style: Conversation vs. Interrogation
- What Questions to Ask? How to Phrase Them?
- The Art of Listening
- Creating Controversy to Show Deponent's Personality
- Using Exhibits and the Witness File
- Handling Objections
- Special Considerations for Expert Witness
- DEFENDING THE DEPOSITION
2:15 - 3:30, Bryan D. Cross
- Teach Your Witnesses to Listen to You Carefully
- How to React to Attorney-Client Privilege Objections
- How to React to Problematic Question Objections
- What “I Need a Break” Really Means
- Control With Articulation vs. the Boisterous Approach
- Strategy, Tips and Techniques
- LOOKING AHEAD – HOW TO USE DEPOSITION TESTIMONY IN THE CASE
3:30 - 4:30, Howard J. Beck
- Ideas Spun From What You Learn at the Deposition
- Post-Deposition File and/or Client Memoranda
- How to Use Depositions Throughout Discovery
- Revisiting Litigation Strategy
- How to Use Depositions at Trial