Stay Up to Date on the Most Important Legal Ethics Rules and Risks
You're devoted to your clients and to upholding the law. But legal practice is never static, and the changes constantly create new ethical challenges and traps for the unwary. Are you unwittingly jeopardizing your clients' welfare and possibly your license? Do you have all the latest information you need to protect confidentiality, guard against conflicts of interest, and prevent malpractice? This fast-paced guide offers legal ethics tactics that will help you maintain your impeccable professional reputation. Find out where the areas of most contention lie and avoid missteps that lead to legal and financial exposure. Register today!
- Clarify what restrictions on attorney communications on- and offline are currently vigorously enforced.
- Understand what must be done with each client file when an attorney changes firms and in firm dissolution.
- Find out what new conflicts of interest you may not be checking for.
- Mitigate the ethical risks of practicing law in another state.
- Make certain the clients' or your move to cloud computing does not jeopardize client confidentiality.
- Ethically and effectively deal with financially distressed clients who owe you money.
- Get a procedural update on resolving bar grievances and other disciplinary actions.
- Attorney Speech – What Lawyers Can and Cannot Say…
8:45 - 9:30, Keith A. Kinney
- Online – Law Firm Website, Personal and Professional Blogs, Social Networking Sites, Free Legal Advice Forums, etc.
- About Judges
- To and About Opposing Counsel
- Attorney Fees
9:30 - 10:15, Patrick Olmstead Jr.
- Pricing Your Legal Services – Effective Billing Structures
- Engagement Agreements and Non-Engagement Letters
- Changing Client Contracts After Engagement
- Client Trust Accounts
- Effective and Ethical Fee Collection Tactics
- Resolving Fee Disputes
- Dealing with Financially Distressed Clients
- Confidentiality, Loyalty and Attorney-Client Privilege
10:30 - 11:00, Patrick Olmstead Jr.
- Case Law Shaping the Scope of Privilege Protections
- Cloud Computing and Confidentiality
- Attorneys Changing Firm Affiliations
11:00 - 11:30, Randall A. Lakey
- Law Firm Closures
- Client Files
- Confidentiality Concerns
- Notifying Opposing Counsel, Current and Former Clients, Vendors, etc.
- Dealing with the Loss of an Attorney in the Firm
- Notifying Clients of Lawyer's Change in Affiliation
- Transfer of Client Files to the New Legal Representative(s)
- Using Firm Names and Letterheads
- Presumption that a Lawyer had the Confidences of all of a Firm's Clients Before Leaving the Firm
- Handling Bar Grievances and Other Disciplinary Actions
11:30 - 12:00, Patrick Olmstead Jr.