Identify and Tackle Tough Title Problems
Are you an attorney or title professional looking to expand your title insurance underwriting knowledge in order to advance your career and handle more complex cases? Today's economic status has created new challenging issues that require sophisticated solutions. This advanced level seminar will keep you on the cutting edge and will highlight vital information you need to make the best decisions for your client. Register today!
- Come away with practical knowledge and solutions you can use immediately.
- Understand what endorsements can and cannot cover and use them to their full advantage in tricky situations.
- Examine real-life title insurance issues involved with bankruptcy filings.
- Understand the underwriting procedures and risks associated with deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Ensure a smooth and successful conclusion to transactions involving business entities, such as LLCs and partnerships.
- Review leasehold endorsement uses and their importance for tenants.
- Employ strategic tactics when negotiating claims during the sale/merger of companies.
- Resolve title issues that arise when a deed cannot be located.
- Avoid the ethical pitfalls that exist when an attorney has ownership of stock in the title insurance agency.
- IMPACT OF BANKRUPTCY ON TITLE INSURANCE
9:00 - 10:00, David S. Musgrave
- Conveyance Issues
- Individual Ownership
- Entity Ownership
- Sole Proprietors and Joint Ventures
- Marital Property
- Clearing Liens
- Ad Valorem Real Estate Taxes
- 363 Sales
- Documents to Obtain Title Insurance
- Selling or Mortgaging Property of the Estate
- Relief from Automatic Stay
- Practical Tips and Applications
- DEEDS-IN-LIEU OF FORECLOSURE
10:15 - 11:15, David S. Musgrave
- Fraudulent Transfers
- Subsequent Claims
- Re-Characterization as an Equitable Mortgage
- Violation of the “Clogging The Equity” Doctrine
- Setting Aside of the Transaction as a Fraudulent Conveyance
- Settlement Agreement
- Deeds with Non-Merger Language
- Covenant Not to Sue vs. Cancellation of the Note
- New Owner's Policy
- Exclusions from Coverage
- Covered Risks
- COMPLEX PROPERTY MATTERS
11:15 - 12:15, Jeffrey W. Thompson
- New Construction
- Mechanics Liens
- Water Rights Policies
- Bond Financing
- Severed Improvements
- Advanced Endorsement Usage
- Leasehold Endorsement
- ORGANIZATION AND AUTHORITY ISSUES RELATING TO LEGAL ENTITIES
1:15 - 2:00, Sally P. McCash
- Limited Liability Companies
- TRUSTS AND ESTATE ISSUES
2:15 - 3:30, Sally P. McCash
- Examining the Title Policy Language
- Claims Issues
- Missing Heirs
- Conflicting Wills
- After the Settlor's Death
- Problems That Arise without a Deed
- Establishing the Trust's Validity
- Intestate Succession
- Proactive Endorsements
- ETHICS IN THE TITLE INSURANCE INDUSTRY
3:30 - 4:30, Nancy Gusman
- Understanding Compliance
- Handling Pressure & Temptation
- Managing Funds
- Recognizing Fraud
- The ALTA Principles of Fair Conduct
- Attorney/Underwriter Affiliation