Effectively Advise Your Clients on Their Options
Are you prepared for the challenges of assisting clients with their ownership succession planning? Will you be able to help your clients maximize the value they receive from the business and help them protect their newly realized wealth? Your clients will need your assistance in determining whether they should sell to Insiders (family or employees), Outsiders (strategic or financial buyers), or to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (“ESOP”). Our experienced faculty will help you advise your clients regarding the opportunities and the traps. Register today!
- Explore the Ownership Succession Planning Process and the role each advisor plays in the process.
- Identify the Succession Planning Options and the key legal and tax aspects of each option.
- Learn how to help your clients determine which Succession Planning Option will best meet their goals.
- Understand how companies are valued.
- Discover how business owners can protect their newly realized wealth.
- Overview of the Ownership Succession Planning Process & Advisors' Roles
9:00 - 9:30, Written and presented by Kelly O. Finnell in Memphis and Nashville.
- The Need for Planning
- The Seven-Step Process
- Advisor Roles
- Valuing Closely Held Companies
9:30 - 10:20, Written by Z. Christopher Mercer and Christopher M. Lovin.
Presented by Z. Christopher Mercer in Memphis and Christopher M. Lovin in Nashville.
- General Approaches to Valuing a Closely Held Company
- Minority Discounts: Lack of Control
- Discounts for Lack of Marketability
- Legal & Tax Considerations in Selling a Company
10:35 - 11:50, Written by Stephen T. Dunavant, Jon Parker Gaston and Shane P. Morris.
Presented by Stephen T. Dunavant in Memphis and Jon Parker Gaston and Shane P. Morris in Nashville.
- Assets vs. Stock Sales
- Tax Mitigation
- Negotiating key Transaction Terms
- Estate & Gift Tax Planning for Business Owners
12:50 - 1:40, Written by R. Michael Potter and Aaron B. Flinn.
Presented by R. Michael Potter in Memphis and Aaron B. Flinn in Nashville.
- Succession Planning Using Lifetime Transfers
- Testamentary Techniques and Business Succession Planning
- ESOPs in Ownership Succession Planning
1:40 - 2:55, Written and presented by Kelly O. Finnell in Memphis and Nashville.
- What Is an ESOP and how Does it Work?
- Tax Benefits for Company and Selling Shareholders
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Case Studies
- Investing & Protecting Wealth Realized From a Business Sale
3:10 - 4:30, Written and presented by David S. Waddell in Memphis and Nashville.
- Integrating Closely Held Businesses Into Investment Strategies
- How Much do you Need to Sell Your Company For?
- Lessons Learned