Learn the Fundamentals of Commercial Real Estate Transactions
Are you confident in your knowledge of residential real estate but looking to understand the nuances of commercial transactions more thoroughly? Or are you entering the field of commercial real estate for the first time and looking for a crash course on the fundamentals to get you started? This program will provide attendees with a thorough understanding of the most commonly encountered key responsibilities during commercial transactions. Register today!
- Don't miss this opportunity to learn special considerations for commercial real estate and know the procedures that ensure a successful transaction.
- Come away with practical knowledge and solutions you can use immediately.
- Get insider's tips on drafting options and how to properly structure leases in your favor.
- Negotiate a successful workout if a commercial tenant is facing bankruptcy.
- Discover how the automatic stay impacts your client's commercial lease.
- Quickly identify title defects and understand the scope of title insurance coverage.
- Explore which title insurance endorsements are applicable and provide the greatest protection for commercial real estate.
- Recognize the scope of the seller's disclosure obligation and the buyer's due diligence responsibilities.
- Walk through the essential components of the purchase contract including representations and warranties, conditions and covenants.
- Drafting and Negotiating Commercial Leases
9:00 - 10:00, Kerry T. Boyle
- Introduction to Drafting Commercial Leases
- Types of Leases
- Drafting Process
- Commercial Lease Checklist
- Lease Provisions
- Basic Lease Provisions
- Bankruptcy and Commercial Leases
10:00 - 11:00, Thomas R. Allen and Yvette A. Cox
- The Automatic Stay Considerations
- Assumption and Rejection of Leases
- Pre-Petition Damages
- Post-Petition Rent
- Capping a Landlord's Claim
- Breach Issues
- Claim and Collection Issues
- Title Insurance on Commercial Property
11:15 - 12:15, Paul A. DePascale
- Title Examination Process
- Reading Surveys
- Recognition of Defects
- Mortgages and Security Instruments
- Lost Priority
- Court Proceedings
- Curative Statutes
- Standards of Title Examination
- Title Insurance Coverage
- Title Policies and Commitments
- Covered Risks
- Title Insurance Endorsements
- Types of Endorsements
- Endorsement Forms
- Endorsements for Complicated Transactions
- Purchase and Sale Agreements
1:15 - 2:45, Timothy J. McGrath
- Preliminary Matters
- Price and Payment Terms
- Property Description
- Seller Deliverables
- Dates and Deadline Management
- Leases and Tenant Transitions
- Representations, Warranties and Covenants
- Tax Adjustments and Prorations
- Insurance and Risk of Loss
- Defaults and Remedies
- Broker Commissions and Liens
- Closing Commercial Real Purchase and Sale Agreements
3:00 - 3:30, Timothy J. McGrath
- Pre-Closing Checklists
- Entities - Verifications and Authority
- Title Evidence
- Closing Instructions Letters/Escrows
- Counsel Opinion Letters
- Document Drafting and Review by Counsel
- Deal Breakers
- Post-Closing Matters
3:30 - 4:30, Amelia A. Bower
- State Bar Code of Ethics
- Disclosure Requirements
- Dealing with Unrepresented Parties
- Multiple Representations during Transactions
- Conflicts of Interest