Save Clients Time and Money By Winning the Case Before it Gets to Trial
Maximize every point of contact with the judge and use all available litigation tools to resolve each case quickly and for the best result. This practical legal course will walk you through key court procedures you must navigate to ensure successful resolution of your clients' cases. Hear seasoned attorneys share their tips and experiences and improve your litigation skills. Register today!
- Review essential court procedures and get time-tested filing and case presentation tips.
- Evaluate your case for strengths and weaknesses and focus your litigation efforts in key strength areas.
- Strike an effective balance in the amount of supporting documentation to use when filing summary judgment motions.
- Recognize when it's prudent and necessary to involve the judge in discovery.
- Protect your reputation and prevent legal malpractice with a detailed review of legal ethics rules as they apply to litigation practices.
- Get practical tips for gaining an edge in settlement conferences.
- Compare and contrast bench and jury trial case presentation to decide which is better for your specific case.
- Use our sample motion verbiage in your next case.
- Summary Judgment
9:00 - 9:45, Written by Holly Marie Wilson. Presented by Thomas R. Houlihan in Akron and Holly Marie Wilson in Cleveland.
- Scheduling/Case Management Conferences
9:45 - 10:30, Written by Michael D. Brennan. Presented by Douglas A. DiPalma in Akron and Michael D. Brennan in Cleveland.
- Request/Notice Filing Deadlines
- Filing and Serving Procedure
- What Documents to Include
- Communication with Opposing Counsel Prior to the Conference
- Cases “At Issue”
- Expert Witnesses
- Discovery Conferences
10:45 - 11:30, Written by Thomas A. Skidmore. Presented by Thomas A. Skidmore in Akron and Holly Marie Wilson in Cleveland.
- When is a Judge's Involvement in Discovery Needed?
- Filing Deadline and Procedure
- Using the Time Most Efficiently
- Handling an Appeal
11:30 - 12:15, Written by Thomas R. Houlihan. Presented by Thomas R. Houlihan in Akron and Holly Marie Wilson in Cleveland.
- Legal Ethics
1:15 - 2:15, Written by Douglas A. DiPalma. Presented by Douglas A. DiPalma in Akron and Christopher R. Pettit in Cleveland.
- Applying Rules of Professionalism in Adversarial Proceedings
- Conflicts of Interest
- Using Special Court Proceedings to Protect Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees
- Settlement Conferences
2:30 - 3:30, Written by Ron Yarwood. Presented by Ron Yarwood in Akron and Michael D. Brennan in Cleveland.
- When are Settlement Conferences Used?
- Who Can Preside Over a Settlement Conference?
- Length of Arguments
- Use of Evidence and Witnesses
- Bench Trial Tips
3:30 - 4:30, Written by Christopher R. Pettit. Presented by Thomas A. Skidmore in Akron and Christopher R. Pettit in Cleveland.
- Bench Trial vs. Jury Trial
- Augmenting Arguments
- Document and Testimony Use at Bench Trial
- Formalities at Bench Trial