Walk Through the Basics of Construction Law
Whether you are new to the construction practice or are looking for a comprehensive refresher, this course will cover multiple issues that must be taken into consideration in the realm of construction law. Join our experienced faculty as they cover a broad, basic overview of the construction process, the fundamentals of construction contracts and key provisions, the basics of insurance, and the impact changes and delays can have on a construction project. Don't miss this opportunity to build your skills in construction law - register today!
- Learn the roles of all parties involved in the construction process.
- Discuss the critical elements that need to be included in comprehensive construction contracts.
- Discuss how mechanics' liens work and how to properly file a lien.
- Walk through the fundamentals of insurance and its importance in construction.
- Learn how delays can impact a construction project and how to work through them if they arise.
- Run through the claims process in construction cases.
- Overview of the Construction Process
9:00 - 9:30, Written by Caleb M. Riser. Presented by Walker H. Willcox in Myrtle Beach and Caleb M. Riser in Charleston.
- Applicable Law, Regulations and Statutes
- Different Types of Project Delivery Systems and Responsibilities
- Roles of Parties and How They Interact
- Construction Contracts
9:30 - 10:20, Written by Caleb M. Riser. Presented by Walker H. Willcox in Myrtle Beach and Caleb M. Riser in Charleston.
- Overview of Contract Terms and Language
- AIA Contracts
- ConsensusDocs and Other Standard Contracts
- Allocating Risk Within Your Contract
- Drafting Basics
- Contract Clauses and Key Provisions You Need to Know
- Scope of Work
- Substantial Completion
- Other Essential Clauses
- Understanding Subcontract Terms and Flow-Through Clauses
10:35 - 11:20, Written by David J. Parrish. Presented by Walker H. Willcox in Myrtle Beach and David J. Parrish in Charleston.
- Mechanics'/Construction Liens and Payment Issues
11:20 - 12:00, Written by David J. Parrish. Presented by Charles B. Jordan Jr. in Myrtle Beach and David J. Parrish in Charleston.
- How Liens Work
- Preliminary Lien Requirements
- Filing a Lien
- Understanding Public vs. Private
- Bonds and Surety Claims
- Insurance Basics for the Construction Attorney
1:00 - 1:45, Written by Alan R. Belcher Jr. Presented by Robert T. Lyles Jr. in Myrtle Beach and Alan R. Belcher Jr. in Charleston.
- Risk Allocation
- Workplace Accidents and Injuries
- "Trigger of Coverage" Basics
- What is (and is not) Covered Under CGL Policies
- Additional Insurance Considerations
- Changes and Delays in Construction Projects
1:45 - 2:30, Written by Alan R. Belcher Jr. Presented by C. Clay Olson in Myrtle Beach and Alan R. Belcher Jr. in Charleston.
- Handling Change Orders
- Documenting Changes and Extra Work
- Excusable, Concurrent or Inexcusable
- Deficient Plans or Specifications: Design vs. Performance
- Ethics for Construction Attorneys
2:45 - 3:45, Written by Charles B. Jordan Jr. Presented by Charles B. Jordan Jr. in Myrtle Beach and C. Clay Olson in Charleston.
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Avoiding Malpractice
- Construction Lawsuit Basics
3:45 - 4:30, Written and Presented by Robert T. Lyles Jr. in Myrtle Beach and Charleston.
- Types of Claims
- Time Requirements
- Documentation Requirements
- Dispute Resolution - Arbitration/Mediation