Investigate and Litigate Fire Insurance Claims More Effectively
There's been a fire and an insurance claim. Is the claimant a despondent victim or a crook intent on taking advantage of the system? This focused course offers a balanced guide to discovering the causes of the fire and effectively representing your client in such claims. Walk through the investigation and claim process – and gain practical insights along the way. Register today!
- Explore key evidentiary and procedural issues and get practical legal tactics for resolving fire claims.
- Get the complete picture with legal tactics for both claimant and insurance company counsel.
- Learn to locate and interpret policy language pertinent to fire damage.
- Find out what related damages are on the table: interruption of business, water and smoke damage, etc.
- Get tips for preparing for the examination under oath – from both the insurance and claimant counsel perspectives.
- Review investigative tactics used in determining whether arson was involved.
- Understand how legal ethics canons are applied in insurance law practice.
- Stay up to date with a digest of the latest relevant statutes, verdicts and industry trends.
- Quantify extra-contractual damages.
- FIRE INSURANCE COVERAGE – INTERPRETING THE POLICY
9:00 - 9:30, Alan H. Casper
- Residential/Homeowners' Policies
- Commercial Policies (Business Interruption Claims)
- Auto Policies
- The Innocent Insured and Severability of Insureds
- The New York Standard Fire Policy
- Lien Holders Rights (Mortgage Holder) When Fire is Intentional or Insured Fails to Cooperate
- ARSON AND FRAUDULENT INSURANCE CLAIMS – INVESTIGATION, PROOF AND PROCEDURE
9:30 -10:30, Monica E. O'Neill
and Robert C. Buckley
- Property Claims
- Auto Cases
- Use of Forensic Experts
- INSURANCE CLAIM PROCESS
10:45 - 11:45, Harry P. Begier Jr.
- Filing the Claim
- Insurance Company Claim Processing
- Proof of Loss
- Recorded Statements/Examinations Under Oath
- Production of Documents
- Inspection of the Property
- Background Information
- EXAMINATIONS UNDER OATH – CLAIMANT'S PERSPECTIVE
12:45 - 1:30, Alan H. Casper
- Preparing Your Client for the EUO
- Must-Have, Common, and Tricky Questions
- The Role of Claimant Counsel at the EUO vs. a Deposition
- LEGAL ETHICS
1:30 - 2:30, Anne Manero
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Attorney-Client Privilege
- What to Do when Your Client Lies
- DEVELOPING TRENDS
2:45 - 3:45, Cynthia L. Bernstiel
- New Statutes
- Jury Verdicts and Case Law
- Commonly Referenced Statutes
- The Effect of Economic Conditions on Frequency of Fraud
- BAD FAITH/EXTRA-CONTRACTUAL CLAIMS AND DAMAGES
3:45 - 4:30, Jeffrey P. Wallack
- Bad Faith
- Consumer Protection Act
- Negligence Investigation