Protect Service Members and Veterans in All Spheres of Civil Law
The men and women of the U.S. military uproot their professional careers, leave their families, and risk their lives to defend our country. They deserve the best when they return and need our help. Do you have a firm grasp of the legal issues most service members face before and after deployment? Do you know all you need to protect their legal interests? This course takes you through the core areas of legal representation most relevant to soldiers and veterans, and offers practical instruction for resolving common problems. Whether you're an elder law attorney, a family law advocate, or an employment lawyer, you will find this course helpful in better understanding and representing your military client. Register today!
- Review key laws governing the deployment and return of service members and veterans' benefits.
- Create a pre-deployment checklist to help soldiers get their legal affairs in order.
- Fulfill your VA re-accreditation requirements and help veterans get all the benefits they deserve.
- Explore key issues in representing both sides of a military divorce.
- Protect service members' employment rights with proper pre-deployment planning and post-deployment representation.
- Help returning service members transition from military to civilian lifestyle.
- Get the long form 214/215 and properly prepare the discharge appeal.
- Know what kind of relief veterans are entitled to in bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- A Service Member Client
9:00 - 10:15, Neal A. Puckett
- Review of Major Branches of the Armed Forces
- Key Terms and Abbreviations
- Military Culture and Communication Style
- Depression, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse
- Traumatic Brain Injury and Mental Capacity
- Family Law Overview
10:30 - 11:45, Eric S. Montalvo
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Review
- Eligibility for Services Provided to Military, Retirees, and Their Families
- Legal Services - General Information and Referrals
- Family Law
- Wills/POA/Estate Planning
- Tax Law
- Landlord/Tenant Matter
- Contract Disputes and Consumer Law
- Military Member Deployment Checklists
- Future Issues: Same Sex Marriage
- A Basic Guide to Veterans Benefits
12:45 - 2:00, John S. Burton
- What Is a VA Pension For Veterans?
- Who Is Eligible
- How Does VA Calculate a Veteran's Pension
- In Addition to the VA Pension Benefit, Does the Veteran also Qualify for the "Aid and Attendance" Benefit?
- Does the Veteran Qualify for "Housebound Benefits"?
- Asset, Income and Medical Requirements
- Interplay Between VA and Medicaid Benefits
- Discharge Upgrade Process
2:00 - 3:15, Eric S. Montalvo
- Discharge Codes, Reenlistment Code, Characterization of Discharge from Military Service
- Client Rationale for Discharge Upgrade Determines Appropriate Effort
- Service Boards - Discharge Review Boards, Boards of Correction of Records Versus Clemency and/or Appeals to Judicial Appeals
- Statute - 10 U.S.C. § 1553
- Application Process and Reserving the Right to Request a Personal Appearance at the Administrative Hearing
- Reenlistment Eligibility Codes - the Heart of Discharge Upgrades
- Ethical Issues
3:30 - 4:30, Neal A. Puckett
- Scope of Representation
- Conflict of Interest
- Conflict: Prohibited Transactions
- Conflict: Former Client
- Trial Publicity