South Carolina Special Education Law Seminar
Comply With the Latest Special Education Laws to Avoid Liability
With the passage of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, professionals working with special needs children know that an understanding of special education law is crucial. You need to know the law in order to deal with complex questions that arise on a regular basis. How can a school create the least restrictive environment and promote inclusion to the best interests of all students? It can be costly if you don't know. Register today!
- Strengthen your knowledge of how recent special education legislation affects school policies and operation.
- Evaluate who should be present at Individualized Education Program (IEP) team meetings.
- Successfully handle disciplinary actions for students with disabilities.
- Explore the role of manifestation determination reviewing the legality of disciplinary actions.
- Understand the rights of special needs students so you can avoid inadvertent illegal actions that may lead to a lawsuit.
Morning Session: 8:30 - 9:45 and 10:00 - 12:15
- FREE, APPROPRIATE PUBLIC EDUCATION (FAPE) UNDER THE IDEA
Kimberly Kelley Blackburn, Kathryn Long Mahoney and John M. Reagle
- Who Should be Present at IEP Team Meetings? (Kathryn Long Mahoney)
- How to Conduct Defensible and Effective IEP Meetings (Kathryn Long Mahoney)
- Considerations for Evaluation and Placement (John M. Reagle)
- Development of IEPs (John M. Reagle)
- What are the Procedural Protections and Due Process Requirements Under the IDEA? (Kimberly Kelley Blackburn)
PM Session: 1:15 - 2:30 and 2:45 - 4:00
- SECTION 504 OF THE REHABILITATION ACT OF 1973 AFTER THE AMENDMENT OF THE ADA
Kimberly Kelley Blackburn
- What is the Purpose and Who is Protected?
- Eligibility, Evaluation, and Placement
- Identifying and Locating Students With Disabilities
- FAPE and Development of a Written Plan
- Due Process, Grievance Procedures, and Procedural Safeguards
- DISCIPLINE UNDER IDEA AND SECTION 504
Vernie L. Williams
- What Constitutes a Change of Placement?
- Short-Term Suspensions
- 45 Day Removal/Special Circumstances
- Functional Behavioral Assessment and Behavioral Intervention Plans
- Manifestation Determination