Keep Up to Date on Zoning Issues that Affect Your Practice
Working through a project that involves federal, state and local land use laws can be a complicated and tedious task. Do you know the latest legislation and ordinances affecting land use law in your jurisdiction? Are you confident in your abilities to advise clients on zoning changes and special use permits? This seminar will review the ins and outs of land use requirements and how to navigate appeals and amendments. Don't miss this opportunity to remain up to date on the latest laws and methods for working through the land use application process. Register today!
- Ensure compliance with environmental regulations by obtaining necessary permits and permissions.
- Discover how to use the comprehensive plan to win over planning commissions.
- Know how to use variances and special use permits to your advantage.
- Identify the necessary steps - on a local, regional and state level - for obtaining a permit.
- Recognize when pursuing a title insurance claim based on land use is beneficial for your client.
- Represent your clients with confidence by understanding key zoning concepts.
- Take your zoning knowledge to the next level with an in-depth understanding of procedures for amending existing approvals.
- Know the necessary steps when fighting for your client during an appeal of an administrative zoning decision.
- Review ethical considerations of land use projects such as “duty to protect the environment.”
Dealing with Natural Resource Regulations
9:00 - 10:00 Paul T. Sonderegger
- Protecting Water: National Pollution Discharge Elimination Systems Permitting
- Protecting Wetlands: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Permitting
- Protecting Air: Title V Permitting
- Property Impact Detection and Clean-up: Owner and Operator Liability
- Preparing an Action Plan to Address Environmental Issues
Land Use Ordinances, Plans, Policies and Legislation
10:15 - 11:15, Carl Lumley
- Overview of State Subdivision and Zoning Law Requirements
- Preemptions and Substantive Limits to Local Land Use Ordinances
- The Importance of the Comprehensive Plan
- Understand Zoning, Rezoning, Variance, Special Use and Conditional Use Permits
- The Rules Defining Impact Fees and Exactions
- Other Growth Control Tools
- Traffic and Infrastructure Considerations for Development
- Legal Standing of Restrictive Covenants
Title Insurance Policies and Land Use Regulations
11:15 - 12:15, Ted D. Disabato
- Recorded Restrictions
- Common Exclusions and Exemptions
- Pursuing Title Insurance Claims
Navigating the Maze of Land Use Application Procedures
1:15 - 2:15, Gary H. Feder
- Subdivision Application Process and Procedures
- Site Plan Requirements and Approval Process
- On-Site Circulation
- Zoning Applications: Zone, Rezone, Variance, Special Use and Conditional Use Permits
- Planning for Abandonments and Vacations of Public Rights-of-Way
- Your Right to Procedural Due Process
- Estimating the Timeframe for Review and Approval
- Amending Existing Approvals
Appealing the Local Land Use Decision in Court
2:30 - 3:30, Carl Lumley
- Who has Standing to Challenge Local Land Use Decisions?
- Contract Purchasers
- Making a Record at the Municipal Level
- Prerequisites and Proper Procedures to Invoke the Jurisdiction of the Courts
- Standards of Review
- Damage Claims: When are They Available?
- Mistakes that Decide Appeals
- Case Law Update
Ethics in Land Use
3:30 - 4:30, Ted D. Disabato
- Code of Professional Responsibility
- Land Use Decisions for the Public Good
- Duty to Protect the Environment
- Ex Parte Contacts
- Conflicts of Interest