Advanced Elder Law
Advanced Tactics for Funding LTC and Combating Elder Abuse
Elder law is a growing area of law and staying ahead of the curve is a must. Go beyond simple gifting techniques to fund your clients' long-term care: explore asset transfer methods at every stage of the lookback period to protect Medicaid eligibility and get practical guidance for litigating financial and other types of elder abuse. Enhance your practice – register today!
- Get the latest updates on legislative and regulatory developments affecting today's elder law practice.
- Find new avenues of long-term care funding that doesn't break your clients financially.
- Tackle the toughest lookback challenges to help your clients protect Medicaid eligibility and restore benefits.
- Maintain your veterans' benefits accreditation and learn the best ways of contesting/reversing a negative VA ruling.
- Protect your elderly clients from abusive investment schemes and mistreatment by caregivers.
- Identify common causes of action against assisted living facilities and learn how to effectively pursue such cases.
- Protect your professional reputation with a guide to real-life ethical dilemmas.
AM SESSION: ADVANCED PLANNING ISSUES
- Long-Term Care Planning Challenges and Concerns
9:00 - 10:00, David R. Craig
- Healthcare Reform Update
- Medicare Advantage Plans
- Veterans' and Military Benefits
- Private Pay
- Advanced Asset Transfer Tactics to Qualify for Medicaid
10:00 - 10:30 and 10:45 - 11:15, David R. Craig
- Interstate Asset Transfers
- Advanced Gift Tactics
- Prohibited Asset Transfers
- VA Implications
- Frequently Overlooked Exceptions to Countable Income
- Using Annuities to Qualify for Medicaid
- Use of Promissory Notes in Medicaid Eligibility
- Tax Implications
- Medicaid Crisis Planning and Benefits Restoration
11:15 - 12:15, David R. Craig
- Troubleshooting the 3-Year and 5-Year Look-Back Periods
- Using The Pickle Amendment to Obtain Medicaid Eligibility for Beneficiaries
- Appealing Refusal of Benefits
- Alternatives to Medicaid
PM SESSION: LITIGATING ABUSE/EXPLOITATION OF THE ELDERLY
- VA Benefits
1:15 - 1:45, Earl S. Carrel
- Remedies for Elder Exploitation
1:45 - 2:15, Ralph F. Holmes
- Guardianship and Conservatorship
- Reporting Requirements
- Power of Attorney Accounting Claims
- Will and Trust Contests
- Claims to Contest Real Estate Transfers, Re-Titling of Accounts, and Beneficiary Designation Changes
- Medical Malpractice Claims
2:15 - 2:45, Ralph F. Holmes
- Ombudsman Investigations
- Settlement and Negotiation Strategies
- Overview of Claims Process
- Abusive Insurance and Investment Sales
3:00 - 3:30, Ralph F. Holmes
- Common Perpetrators
- Red Flags to Look for and How to Report Suspected Abuse
- Litigating Bad Faith/Abuse in Insurance and Investment Sales: Critical Tips
- Maintaining an Ethical Practice
3:30 - 4:30, Gary W. Holmes
- Rules of Professional Conduct as They Apply to Elder Law
- The Third Person Dilemma (Family and Friends)
- Mental Capacity and Representing Incompetent Clients
- Attorneys Acting as Fiduciaries
- Marketing to Elders
- Determination of Fees