Attorney's Guide to Managing Clients - Legal Seminar
Build Up Your Client Base and Manage Your Cases More Efficiently
No matter how strong the facts of the case, ironically, clients are often the ones who inadvertently stand in the way of its success. This practical guide gathers the wisdom of years of legal practice and combines it with the latest legal tech to offer you a set of easy, actionable tools to manage clients and keep the case on track. Share your own client stories and find answers to tough questions together - register today!
- Attract the right clients and screen your cases effectively.
- Prevent fee disputes with detailed and timely billing.
- Plan out your fee collection efforts and get tips for special considerations and hiring outside help.
- Stay compliant with clear guidance on managing client trusts and resolving fee disputes.
- Get specific techniques for handling common trouble clients.
- Ensure effective communication, from client intake to end of attorney-client relationship.
- Learn when and how to effectively withdraw representation.
- Protect your professional reputation and avoid legal malpractice with practical legal ethics review.
- Finding Your Clients
9:00 - 9:45, Alin L. Rosca
- Attracting the Right Clientele
- Building Your Online Biography
- Using Your Website Effectively
- Using Social Media
- How to Effectively Network
- Client/Case Intake
- Assessing the Case and Client
- Common Red Flags to Look Out For
- Scheduling the Interview for Maximum Effectiveness
- Legal Ethics Update
9:45 - 10:45, Alin L. Rosca
- Rules of Professional Responsibility
- Conflicts of Interest
- Duties to Non-Clients
11:00 - 11:45, Manav H. Raj
- Finding the Best Fee Structure for You AND Your Client
- Contingency and Modified Contingency
- Hourly Rates
- Flat Fees
- Blended Rates
- Alternative Fee Structures
- Billing Systems
- Stand Alone Systems
- Integrated Systems
- Out of House Accountant
- Collecting Payments
12:45 - 1:30, Manav H. Raj
- Preventing Unpaid Accounts
- Effective Invoicing Practices
- Sample Itemized Invoice Review
- Charging Late Fees and Interest on Delinquent Accounts
- Deciding Whether to Pursue or Cut Losses
- In-House vs. Collection Agency
- Client Trust Accounts and Fee Disputes
1:30 - 2:15, Manav H. Raj
- When a Trust Account is Needed
- Setting up a Trust Account
- Record-Keeping and Day-to-Day Management
- Client Reporting
- Interest-Bearing Accounts (IOLTA Rules)
- Common Causes of Fee Disputes
- Fee Dispute Resolution Tactics
- Defending a Fee Dispute in ADR and in Court
- How to Handle Tough Clients
2:15 - 2:55, J. Charles Ruiz-Bueno
- Common Client Risks and Problems
- Anger and "Bloodlust"
- Overly High Expectations
- Non-Payment and Delayed Payment
- Knowing Just Enough Law to be Dangerous
- Deceit and Lies
- Setting Boundaries
- Recognizing Signs of Danger
- Common Remedies
- Effective Communication and Case Updates
3:10 - 3:50, J. Charles Ruiz-Bueno
- Providing Clients with Documents in Electronic Form
- Frequency of Case Updates
- Modes of Communication (E-Mail, Google Voice, Phone, Texts)
- Requesting Specific Documents/Information
- Counseling Clients
- Dealing with Third Parties Interested in the Case
- Firing a Client
3:50 - 4:30, J. Charles Ruiz-Bueno
- When Should/Must You Terminate Representation
- Termination of Representation Letters/Notices
- Referral and Case Transfer Logistics
- Potential Future Conflicts of Interest
- What if the Court Does Not Allow You to Withdraw?