Legal Ethics: Top 8 Challenges
Your Practical Ethical Compliance Guide
Real-life legal practice doesn’t fit neatly into the bounds of legal ethics that we all learned in law school. There are always questions and pitfalls that you’ll need to figure out to make certain you’re in compliance today. This course compiles the toughest current challenges attorneys face in protecting their professional reputations. Our experienced attorney faculty will help you get the tools you need to do the right thing without fear of disciplinary action or litigation. Enroll today!
- Clarify allowable and prohibited conduct in social media.
- Discover and avoid hidden conflicts of interest.
- Find out how to properly handle case delays.
- Forestall allegations of client fee trust mismanagement with our best practices guide.
- Protect client confidentiality in online communications and in data storage.
- Duties to Prospective Clients
8:45 - 9:00, Barry M. Klayman
- Online Ethics
9:00 - 9:30, Michele Muldoon
- Directory Listings
- Q&A Forums (Does it Constitute Legal Advice?)
- Social Media Use
- Confidentiality and Data Security
9:30 - 9:55, Barry M. Klayman
- Confidentiality Tips for Mobile Attorneys
- Cloud Storage and File Sharing
- Case Delays and Insufficient Client Communications
9:55 - 10:15, Barry M. Klayman
- Legal Ethics of E-mail
- Texting, Online Chat, “Friending” Clients on Facebook
- Managing Client Expectations
- Notifying Court of Date Changes and Requesting Extensions
- Conflicts of Interest
10:30 - 11:00, Mary E. Sherlock
- Representing Multiple Clients
- Conflicts of Interest with an Attorney in the Same Firm
- Past Client Conflicts
- Appearance of Impropriety
- Attorney Fees and Client Trust Accounts
11:00 - 11:15, Barry M. Klayman
- Referral Fees
- Co-Counsel Fees
- Liens on Deferred Fees
- Interest on Client Trust Accounts
- Changing Firms
11:15 - 11:40, Michele Muldoon
- Duty of Competency when Diversifying Your Practice
11:40 - 12:00, Mary E. Sherlock