Nuts and Bolts of Divorce Law
Know the Fundamentals and Work through the Divorce with Ease
Divorce cases require a knowledgeable, confident and perceptive attorney who not only knows basic procedures but also best practices. Are you able to work through a divorce case with confidence? Can you advise your clients and prepare for common obstacles? Listen and learn from experienced faculty who have handled numerous divorce cases and have perfected their craft. At this one-day seminar you will review pretrial motions and pleadings, and discovery best practices. Prepare for child custody issues and protect your clients’ financial portfolios. Review simple tax consequences and avoid ethical dilemmas. This is a must-attend program that will teach you divorce law from start to finish. Register today!
- Navigate the divorce process with ease and walk through each step with experienced attorney guidance.
- Learn how to prepare, file and respond to petitions for dissolution of marriage.
- Gain valuable strategies for discovery by utilizing formal and informal methods.
- Reach a suitable child custody agreement by understanding the pros and cons of joint custody.
- Learn how to calculate, negotiate and modify child support and spousal maintenance agreements.
- Establish the value of marital assets with techniques for assessing property and quantifying debt.
- Don’t let your client be surprised, learn to advise clients on common tax issues.
- Find out what the rules say about legal fee determination and know how your colleagues apply them.
- Preliminary Steps and the Initial Client Interview
9:00 - 9:45, David J. Beaudry
It is not unusual to have a new client approach the initial consultation hesitant, scared, or even irate; but it is up to you to ensure they are fully aware of the expectations and the task at hand. Make sure you know best practices for interviewing, assessing and organizing the client’s case. Ask the right questions and get the case off on the right foot from the start.
- Filing for Divorce and Pretrial Motions
9:45 - 10:45, David J. Beaudry
Do you know how to streamline the mechanics of initiating, responding to and handling a divorce petition? Review common motions and pleadings and avoid any missteps that can derail the proceedings. This initial step sets the tone for the rest of the case and it’s important to commence the divorce fully prepared.
- Discovery Best Practices
11:00 - 12:00, Wayne A. Morrison
Any divorce action involves extensive due diligence during the discovery stage. Learn formal and informal discovery techniques from an experienced divorce attorney in this session. Make sure you are timing your requests advantageously and avoid spoliation of evidence so you can get the support your case needs.
- Child Custody and Parenting Time Issues
1:00 - 1:45, Hannibal F. Heredia
Usually the most contested and difficult issue to mitigate during divorce is the custody, parenting and support of children. Are you able to negotiate and draft custody arrangements both parties can agree to? How is child support calculated and when should you utilize wage garnishments? Keep the children’s and parents’ best interest in mind throughout the process and confidently prepare for custody hearings.
- Dividing and Protecting Assets
1:45 - 2:30, Jon W. Hedgepeth
When it comes to dividing assets many issues can make the process more difficult. For instance, how do you effectively use QDROs for retirement plans? What happens to assets acquired before marriage? How do you accurately valuate business interests? And what strategies should you employ for dividing property? Get the results your clients’ deserve and avoid unnecessary complications.
- Identifying Tax Consequences of Divorce
2:45 - 3:30, Jon W. Hedgepeth
At some point your client will likely look to you for guidance regarding tax consequences of the divorce, and it’s important you know the fundamentals of tax planning strategies. Know how income and property taxes are impacted and minimize negative tax consequences. Don’t just refer your client to another expert; confidently handle these basic questions yourself.
- Avoiding Ethical Perils in Divorce
3:30 - 4:30, Wayne A. Morrison
End the day with an analysis of ethical dilemmas attorneys find themselves faced with when working on divorce cases. Review your state’s rules of professional conduct and avoid conflicts of interest. Know how to best charge attorney fees and ensure your clients aren’t surprised by any bills or fee disputes.