Oklahoma Title Law
Confidently Work Through Common Problems
Do you understand the intricacies of real estate closings but feel left out of the loop when title becomes involved in the transaction? Are you able to resolve common title problems and utilize title insurance to your client's full advantage? Don't just rely on other professionals' due diligence; learn to use insurance and other cures to protect against title defects found with comprehensive title searches. This course will teach you the fundamentals of real estate title from examination to litigation. Register today!
- Conduct thorough and accurate title searches by utilizing court decrees, mortgage foreclosures and probate documents.
- Read and interpret land surveys, legal descriptions and plats in order to identify potential problems.
- Take the necessary steps to cure defects in the title so you can keep the transaction flowing.
- Avoid ethical dilemmas such as conflicts of interest during real estate transactions.
- Confidentiality draft closing letters that protect the buyer from title insurance claims.
- Work with the title insurance company on special issues, including additional coverage and special endorsements.
- Learn how to effectively file and defend title insurance claims.
2012 Update on Oklahoma Title Law
9:00 - 10:00, Dale L. Astle
Title Search and Examination Fundamentals
10:15 - 11:15, Cory B. Hicks
- An Overview of Tenancy
- Forms, Practice Pointers and Procedures
- Probate Court and Heirs
- Open Mortgages, Trust Deeds, Judgments and Other Liens
- CC&R's, Utility Easements, Other Easements and General Servitudes
- Property Taxes and Other Public or Private Assessments
How to Read Surveys, Descriptions and Plats
11:15 - 12:15, Shaun Axton
- Types of Surveys
- Survey Elements and Symbols
- Common Boundary Conflicts
- Physical Encumbrances and Encroachments
- Prescriptive Easements and Adverse Possession Evidence
- Building Setbacks/Restrictions
- Mineral, Oil and Gas Rights
- How to Avoid Pitfalls
Best Practices for Curing Title Problems
1:15 - 2:15, Michael L. Tinney
- Litigation Solutions
- Non-Litigation Solutions
- Boundary Line Adjustments
2:30 - 3:30, Michael L. Tinney
- Duties of Competence and Diligence
- Conflicts of Interest
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- Liability in Title Examination for Attorneys and Examiners
- Attorneys' Fees
Title Risk and Title Insurance Coverage
3:30 - 4:30, Russell A. Wantland