Handling the Workers' Compensation Case From Start to Finish: From the Plaintiff's Perspective - Human Resources/Employment Law Seminar
Gain Tips and Strategies From Experienced Practitioners
Are you fully prepared to handle workers' compensation claims? This strategic course walks you through the step-by-step practicalities of handling a workers' compensation case, from initial intake through the hearing process. Whether you represent the claimant or the defendant, you'll gain the knowledge you need to effectively advise and zealously defend your client's position. Register today!
- Skillfully work up your cases, knowing the process and procedures to follow.
- Discover the key elements and facts to confirm during the initial investigation.
- Recognize the medical evaluation and discovery issues surrounding claims.
- Find out how to accurately determine the value of a claim.
- Don't let Medicare break your settlement: get up to speed on how to handle Medicare set asides.
- Gain a better understanding of the applicable statutes, regulations and case law.
- Confidently represent your clients in workers' compensation hearings.
- Learn opposing counsel's strategies so you can anticipate actions and proactively plan for reactions.
- OVERVIEW OF LAWS AND CONCEPTS
9:00 - 10:15, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak
- State and Federal Workers' Compensation Laws
- Scope of Employer Liability
- Who is Covered? – Employees, Independent Contractors, Subcontractors
- Compensability? – Injuries and Occupational Diseases
- Affirmative Defenses
- Extraterritorial Application of State Laws
- Non-Occupational Disability Benefit Laws
- Types of Benefits and Claims
- Statute and Case Law Update
- PREPARING YOUR CASE: PROCEDURES FOR CLAIMANT AND DEFENDANT
10:30 - 11:15, Joshua N. Levy
- Claimant's Attorney: Intake, Investigation and Case Preparation
- DETERMINING THE VALUE OF THE CLAIM
11:15 - 12:00, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak
- ETHICAL OBLIGATIONS
1:00 - 2:00, Joshua N. Levy
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Communication with Other Parties
- Attorneys' Fees
- Lawyer Liability
- MEDICAL ISSUES DURING THE CLAIM
2:00 - 3:00, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak
- Medical Discovery Issues
- Choice of Doctor
- Second Medical Opinions
- Medical Evaluation Issues and IMEs
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Functional Capacity Evaluations
- SETTLEMENT OPTIONS (INCLUDING MSA CONSIDERATIONS)
3:15 - 4:00, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak
- Mediation Strategy
- Medicare Set Aside (MSA) Considerations and Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSPA) Requirements
- HEARINGS: PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE
4:00 - 4:15, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak
- RECOVERY FROM THIRD PARTIES
4:15 - 4:30, Michael W. Bertics and Stephen Neal Camak