Northeast Ohio Conference on Local Government Law
Confidently Tackle Any Case That Comes Your Way
Civil suits, labor and employment issues, land use and right of way issues - the day of an attorney representing a government entity can be filled with a wide breadth of cases. Do you have the knowledge and skills necessary to handle any case that comes your way? Are you up to date with the legislative and regulatory changes needed to confidently represent the government? At this comprehensive program, our experienced faculty will help you gain the knowledge you need to be successful in your practice. Enroll today!
- Learn how to protect the government employee's right to privacy and the public's right to know.
- Make sure you're on the top of your game: discuss smart growth and urban renewal policies, procedures and best practices for your government entity.
- Unravel the complexities of the technology age by understanding how technology impacts public records laws and public access rights.
- Are the police liable? Take a current look at police liability so you can represent the best interest of the community.
- Do you have the election law foundation you need? We'll give you the basics so you can confidently represent your community's interests.
- Review common ethical dilemmas faced by government attorneys and recognize how to avoid or work through these problems.
- LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW: CURRENT ISSUES
9:00 - 10:15, Amy M. Pennza
- Handling Employee Grievances
- Protecting Employee Privacy Rights
- Exploration of Labor and Employment Law Issues Unique to Government Entities
- HOT TOPICS IN LAND USE AND ZONING LAW
10:30 - 12:00, Alfred E. Schrader
- Federal, State and Local Requirements
- Providing Notice of Potential Taking
- Property Appraisals and Valuation
- Annexation, Subdivisions and Land Development
- Smart Growth
- Urban Renewal
- STATE AND PUBLIC RECORDS LAW IN THE AGE OF TECHNOLOGY
1:00 - 1:30, James A. Budzik
- How Public Records Law Applies to Electronic Data
- Interplay of Right to Public Access and the Right to Privacy
- When Does Email Become Public Record?
- Today's Unique Challenges for Businesses Working with Government Entities
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR GOVERNMENT ATTORNEYS
1:30 - 2:30, Alfred E. Schrader
- Confidential Information
- Conflicts of Interest
- Representation of Clients After Public Service
- Disciplinary Violations
- ELECTION LAW BASICS
2:45 - 3:30, Robert A. Zimmerman
- A CURRENT LOOK AT POLICE LIABILITY
3:30 - 4:30, Paul J. Pusateri
- Overview of State Law Involving Civil Actions Against Police Department and Officers
- Overview of Federal Law
- Defending a Police Liability Claim