Grammar Crash Course - Communication / Writing
Program Description: (Half-Day
Clients, supervisors, even coworkers may not even always know they’re doing
it — but they’re judging you on your written communication skills. Grammar
mistakes aren’t simply embarrassing — they can impact how people perceive your
intelligence and credibility. Poorly written memos, emails, or reports can not
only cause misunderstandings or project delays, they can even create
career-derailing mistakes that can haunt you for years!
If your professional reputation matters to you … if you want to be seen as the
expert you are, you need to make absolutely sure that everything you write is
polished, professional, and grammatically correct. Your career depends upon it!
That’s why we’ve created this special two-part seminar.
Morning Workshop: Grammar Crash Course
Need to brush up on your grammar? Attend Grammar Crash Course in the morning and
refresh the practical skills that are the foundation of good writing.
Afternoon Workshop: Business Writing Basics
Want to improve your reputation and credibility by making sure that everything
you write is clear, concise, and professional? Attend
Business Writing Basics in
the afternoon and really polish your written communication abilities.
Note: Price does not include the Afternoon Workshop. A separate
registration for Afternoon Workshop is required.
Each half-day training is a complete, focused training in and of itself — and
will dramatically improve your written communication, making your job easier and
Grammar Crash Course Agenda:
The Power of Proper Punctuation
- The worst punctuation mistakes you can make –
and how to prevent them
- The right way to use quotation marks and how
to make them work with other punctuation
- When – and where – you should use a semicolon
over a comma
- Demystifying apostrophe-“s” vs. “s”-apostrophe
- Understanding the power of parentheses and
when to use them
- Punctuation rules that are made to be broken
Spelling Secrets That Will Save Your Skin
- When spell-check is your friend – and the
common mistakes it’ll never catch
- 5 golden spelling rules you HAVE to know
- Is it e-mail, email, or E-mail? Resources to
stay up to date on our changing word usage
- “Occurring” or “occuring”? How to make sure
you’re ending your words correctly!
Getting the Details Right
- ASAP, FYI, IDK: which acronyms are safe to use
– and where!
- Words that are misused “alot,” “irregardless”
of the fact they don’t actually exist!
- When it’s safe to use abbreviations – and when
you should make sure to spell everything out
- Will you be affected or effected? Ensured or
insured? How to distinguish some of the trickiest
Seminar Check-In: 8:30AM Seminar
Program: 9:00AM - 12:00PM
Our training seminars offer Continuing Education
Credits (based on contact hours) upon completion. Credits are issued by
Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center, Inc. according to the
guidelines set forth by IACET. Please note that Continuing Education Credit
approval is at the discretion of your licensing board; not all seminar topics
are approved by all boards. Contact your licensing board or agency for specific
information relating to your profession