An Expansive Look at Real Estate Practice: From Acquisitions to Leasing to Development
Immerse yourself in real estate law! This 2-day program comes replete with the fundamental knowledge every real estate practitioner and many nonlawyer professionals must know. Dip into real estate transactions; gain an understanding of title and title insurance; delve into the basics of easement, boundary, land use issues and much more. Don't miss this opportunity to refresh or build a foundation for a real estate practice - register today!
- Understand the types of real estate transactions and transaction procedures.
- Navigate types of studies, inspections, examinations, etc. conducted in due diligence periods.
- Examine liens and other common types of title defects.
- Take a look at the closing process and closing documentation.
- Delve into tax considerations in the transfer and ownership of real property.
- Review the types of financing tools, from traditional to creative financing.
- Analyze routinely-negotiated provisions in real estate leases.
- Walk through the key steps of the real estate development process.
- Gain a basic grasp of land use and zoning law, variances and permits.
- See how environmental laws and liabilities impact real estate.
Day 1: Purchase and Sale; Title; Tax; Financing
- Purchase and Sale of Real Estate
9:00 - 10:15, Diana M. Ducharme and Emily Migliaccio
- Laws and Regs Governing Real Estate Sales
- Types of Transactions; Process and Procedure
- Letters of Intent (LOI) and Purchase and Sale Agreements
- Walkthrough of Contract Provisions
- Due Diligence: Types of Studies, Inspections, Examinations, etc. Buyers May Conduct
- Renegotiations, Amendments or Termination Issues Arising From the DD Period
- Deeds and Legal Descriptions
10:30 - 11:00, Andrew R. Bilodeau
- Types of Deeds and When They are Used (Warranty, Special Warranty, Quitclaim, Trustee's, etc.)
- Testate and Intestate Transfers
- Legal Descriptions: How to Read and Understand
- Deed Preparation Basics and Mistakes to Avoid
- Title and Title Insurance Explained
11:00 - 12:30, Diana M. Ducharme and Emily Migliaccio
- Title Search and Examination Fundamentals
- Types of Surveys and Their Role
- Title Insurance 101
- Liens: Overview of Different Types
- Common Defects and How They are Cured
- Real Estate Closings 101
1:30 - 2:15, Diana M. Ducharme and Emily Migliaccio
- Process, Timetable and Attorney Duties
- Preparation and Review of Closing Documents
- Closing the Transaction
- Tax Matters in Real Estate
2:15 - 2;45, Andrew R. Bilodeau
- Tax Considerations in the Transfer and Ownership of Real Property
- 1031 Exchanges/Tax Deferral Tools
- Real Property Tax Valuations and Exemptions
- Appeals of Property Tax Assessment
- Real Estate Financing and Foreclosure Fundamentals
3:00 - 4:30, Andrew R. Bilodeau
- Real Estate Lending Laws and Regs
- Types of Real Estate Loans
- Loan Applications and Documents (w/Samples)
- Routinely Negotiated Provisions of Real Estate Financing Documents
- Land Contracts, Options and Subject-to Transactions
- Foreclosure and Bankruptcy
- Workouts; Deeds in Lieu, Short Sales, etc.
Day 2: Leases; Development; Easements; Zoning and Land Use
- Leasing; Landlord-Tenant Laws and Evictions
9:00 - 10:30, John O. Mancini
- Fundamentals of Real Estate Leasing
- Walkthrough of Lease Provisions
- Routinely Negotiated Terms: Landlord vs. Tenant Perspectives
- Lease Amendments and Modifications
- Sample LOI, Lease Agreements and Ancillary Documents
- Provisions That Commonly Lead to Disputes
- Landlord-Tenant Laws and Evictions
- Real Estate Development and Construction Law
10:45 - 12:00, Steven A. Torres
- Development Process
- Governmental Approvals
- Financing/Assistance: Traditional and Government
- Construction Law Basics
- Development and Construction Contracts
- Ways to Mitigate Risk in Construction Development/Management
- Condominium and Homeowners Associations - Special Issues
- Easements and Boundary Law
1:00 - 2:00, Justin T. Shay
- Easements and Rights-of-Way
- Encroachment and Adverse Possession
- Boundary or Property Line Disputes
- Quiet Title Actions: The Basics
- Zoning and Land Use Basics
2:00 - 2:45, Justin T. Shay
- Ordinances, Regulations and Codes
- Restrictive Covenants
- Variances, Non-Conforming Uses and Conditional Use Permits
- Eminent Domain Laws and Process
- Environmental Laws and Liability
3:00 - 3:30, Steven A. Torres
- Environmental Laws and Key Real Estate Exposures
- Environmental Due Diligence; Site Assessments
- Insurance and Contractual Allocation of Liability
- Legal Ethics
3:30 - 4:30, William J. Delaney
- Legal and Ethical Standards
- Conflicts of Interest in Real Estate Practice
- Attorneys as Brokers
- Liability for Title Work
- Disclosures of Material Facts