Sales and Use Tax in Virginia - State Specific Sales and Use Tax Seminar
Know the Latest Compliance Requirements and Developments
Accounting for sales and use taxes can be one of the most complicated and frustrating tasks accountants and lawyers tackle. States are cracking down on these taxes and yet the laws and definitions are as ambiguous as ever. Interstate and e-commerce sales are the norm today, but do you know exactly which transactions require taxing and reporting to the Department of Revenue and IRS? Don't just hope your clients stay under the government's radar; proactively ensure you are complying with the myriad of regulations. This seminar will bring you up to date on best practices when accounting for sales and use tax. Learn how to decipher whether or not a business has nexus in a state and identify what products and sales are exempt from sales tax; legally report tax information and resolve tax disputes. Back taxes and penalties can be costly for any business - don't leave your clients liable. Register today!
- Understand the latest federal and state developments regarding sales and use tax enforcement.
- Review how interstate and e-commerce sales have complicated reporting requirements.
- Be able to confidently identify when your business has nexus in a state.
- Review how physical presence and economic presence can impact your taxes.
- Know the unique filing requirements for your state.
- Avoid common record-keeping errors that can be costly for your business to remedy.
- Recognize why and how to claim tax exemptions.
- Avoid expensive penalties or criminal charges associated with default or fraudulent reporting.
- Understand how large sales or transfers of businesses can impact your taxes.
- Reviewing Recent Developments
8:30 - 9:15, Jeremy Jester
- Constitutional Basis for Impositions of Sales/Use Tax, State/Federal
- The Streamlined Sales Tax Project
- The Marketplace Fairness Act
- How to Keep Up With Changing Obligations
- Clarifying Nexus Confusion
9:15 - 10:00, Derek S. Hoffman
- Sales Tax v. Use Tax
- Tax Base
- Independent Contractors Issues
- Nexus Checklist
- Complying With and Enforcing Sales and Use Tax
10:15 - 10:45, Jeremy Jester
- Registration, Permits, and Reporting Requirements
- Record Keeping in Documentation
- Tax Rates
- Compliance Penalties
- Ruling Requests
- Administrative Review and Appeals
- Use Tax and the A/P Department
10:45 - 12:00, Derek S. Hoffman
- Best Practices
- Minimizing Audit Risk
- Identifying Tax Exemptions, Deductions, Credits and Incentives
1:00 - 2:00, Jeremy Jester
- Virginia Exemptions
- Tax Incentives
- Understanding Virginia Matters and Select Core Industries
2:00 - 3:00, Derek S. Hoffman
- Business Professional, and Occupational License Tax
- Cloud Computing
- Transferring a Business or Assets
- Resolving Sales and Use Tax Disputes
3:15 - 4:30, Derek S. Hoffman and Jeremy Jester
- Audit Process
- Proof of Payment
- Penalties and Pre-Assessment Interest
- Criminal Penalties
- Answering Your Real World Questions – Q&A Session
4:30 - 4:30, Derek S. Hoffman and Jeremy Jester