Civil Litigation Today: A Practical Workshop - Civil Litigation Seminar
A "Non-Lecture" Style Forum That Discusses Today's Most Challenging Elements of Civil Litigation
How to win at summary judgment, overcoming technology challenges, current procedure application to mediation strategies, presenting email as evidence, jury profiling and storytelling are just a handful of the many elements of litigation that are not easily taught (or learned) in a lecture style format. In this interactive, hands-on forum, experienced faculty will actively demonstrate, visually present and practically apply rule and procedure changes, recent case law, emerging trends and innovative litigation strategies to the most challenging elements of civil litigation that attorneys are facing right now. Register today!
- Gain advanced strategies for how to win at summary judgment, including oral argument dos and don'ts.
- Watch experienced civil litigators apply recent trends and current procedures in a "real-life" case study demonstration of a mediation.
- Observe a visual demonstration of how to introduce, admit and present social media and email evidence.
- Learn how to effectively apply the rules of evidence to hearsay.
- Examine a sample case study jury selection, gain advanced profiling tips and learn creative questioning techniques.
- Observe a mock direct and cross examination of an expert witness.
- SUMMARY JUDGMENT: A "REAL-LIFE" CASE STUDY
9:00 - 9:45, F. David Rusin
Current Rule and Procedure Application, Dealing with Different Judicial Approaches, Creative Presentation of Facts, Oral Argument Do's and Don'ts, Recent Case Law, Common Mistakes and Timing Issues
- MEDIATION: A "REAL-LIFE" CASE STUDY DEMONSTRATION
9:45 - 10:30, Earl K. Cantwell
Recent Trends, Current Rule/Procedure Application, Timing Issues, Preparation Tips, Submission Recommendations, Innovative Techniques, Evidence Presentation and Local Venue Considerations
- EVIDENCE UPDATE: A VISUAL DEMONSTRATION
10:45 - 11:15, F. David Rusin
Social Media, Email and Online Evidence in Litigation, Current Rule and Procedure Application, Hearsay Challenges, PowerPoint Tips, Technology Challenges, Using Motions in Limine, Electronic Exhibits, Authentication Issues, Introducing/Admitting/Presenting ESI and Demonstrative Exhibits
- JURY SELECTION PANEL: AN INTERACTIVE FORUM
11:15 - 12:00, Richard P. Valentine
Current Rule and Procedure Application, Continuing Developments, Creative Questions, Case Law on Challenges for Cause, How Jurors Determine Credibility, Reading Body Language, Choosing Your Strikes Carefully, Uncovering Biases, Advanced Profiling Methods and Survey Examples
- STORYTELLING: A "REAL-LIFE" CASE STUDY PRESENTATION
1:00 - 2:00, Christopher Pannozzo
Recent Trends, Current Rule and Procedure Application, Framework for Compelling Stories, Innovative Opening/Closing Techniques, Delivering the Burden of Proof, Advanced Development of Case Themes and Creatively Introducing Case Parties
- DIRECT/CROSS EXAMINATION OF EXPERT WITNESSES: A "REAL-LIFE" EXAMPLE
2:15 - 3:30, Richard P. Valentine
FRCP Rule and Procedures Update/Application, Witness Preparation, Pretrial Compliance, Qualification Challenges, Daubert/Frye Considerations, Objections, Video Depositions, Advanced Questioning Techniques, Expert Reports, Difficult Witnesses, Addressing Highly Technical Content and Specific Approaches to Impeachment
- COURTROOM ETHICS UPDATE
3:30 - 4:30, Michelle M. Parker
Social Media and Online Risks for Attorneys, Witness Preparation, Data Security Issues, Conflicts of Interest, Representing Multiple Clients and How to Avoid Legal Malpractice