Water Rights in Idaho - Water Resource Professional Law Training Seminar
Get the Tools You Need to Successfully Tackle Challenging Water Law Cases
The fight for "liquid gold" is getting ugly. With developers, government officials, energy companies, tribal leaders, utility companies, farmers and others putting water in their crosshairs, more and more attorneys are taking on these complicated cases. This focused legal program is packed with the latest and greatest legal strategies for protecting your client’s water rights and use. Whether you’re an experienced water law attorney or new to the practice area, this program will provide you with practical tools to tackle water law cases. Register today!
- Evaluate Idaho's administrative system in-depth, including applications for new water rights, licensing and transfers.
- Review special considerations for ground water rights in Idaho, including proving sufficiency of supply, injury, and other administrative issues.
- Analyze water right transaction issues, including water rights as real property vs. personal property.
- Learn how to properly address water rights in deeds and other instruments.
- Get a better understanding of easements and rights-of-way associated with water transportation and use.
- Better understand the ethical issues
associated with representation of clients within the same water system
- NUTS AND BOLTS OF WATER LAW IN IDAHO
9:00 - 10:30, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Elements of a Water Right
- The Prior Appropriation Doctrine
- Legal Attributes of Water Rights
- Water Right Adjudications
- Overview of the Administrative System
- IDAHO'S ADMINISTRATIVE SYSTEM IN-DEPTH
10:45 - 11:45, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Applications for New Water Rights
- Water Right Licensing
- Water Right Transfers
- The State Water Supply Bank
- SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR GROUND WATER RIGHTS IN IDAHO
11:45 - 12:15, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Overview of the Administrative System for Ground Water Rights
- Reasonable Pumping Level vs. Historical Pumping Level
- Proving Sufficiency of Supply, Injury, and Other Administrative Issues
- The Prior Appropriation Doctrine and the Eastern Snake Plain Aquifer Litigation
- WATER RIGHT TRANSACTIONS AND CONVEYANCING
1:15 - 2:15, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Water Rights as Real Property vs. Personal Property
- Water Right Due Diligence
- Addressing Water Rights in Deeds and Other Instruments
- Post-Transaction Considerations
- HOW DOES THE WATER GET THERE?
2:15 - 3:15, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Easements and Rights-of-Way Associated with Water Transportation and Use
- Irrigation Districts, Canal Companies, Ditch Companies, and Other Distribution Entities
- Water Districts and State Regulation of Water Distribution
- ETHICS AND WATER LAW
3:30 - 4:30, Dylan B. Lawrence and Andrew J. Waldera
- Representation of Clients Within the Same Water System
- Taking Differing or Adverse Positions for Different Clients
- Water Right Adjudications
- Application of Ethical Rules to Administrative Proceedings