Oddities and Challenges of Family Law
Get the Skills, Knowledge and Tips to be Successful
Family law practice is filled with emotional and complex situations that require a skilled attorney who is able to negotiate and work through the procedural mine-field of marriage and divorce. Finances, children and debt are all intimately involved with any family law case; and these issues create emotionally-charged clients and situations. In order to be a successful attorney you need to not only have compassion and understanding, but also knowledge and sure-fire techniques for navigating family law cases. Learn from experienced attorneys as they review best practices and insider tips only available in a real-life setting. Register today and move your practice to the next level!
- Review the latest developments and issues in family law today.
- Be able to draft prenuptial agreements that both parties can agree on while also protecting your client's best interests.
- Recognize how to balance rights of relocation.
- Know what to expect if a spouse challenges paternity rights to a child.
- Confidently negotiate and draft stipulations, consent decrees, mergers and Rule 69 agreements.
- Know how to read and interpret meaningful information from financial documents like tax returns and retirements plans.
- Gain a better understanding of community property and equitable distribution laws.
- Identify key litigation tactics, including effective strategies used to counter-argue trusts as assets.
- Avoid unethical situations by appropriately communicating with the adverse party while maintaining confidentiality.
- Drafting Common Marital Agreements (With Checklists and Sample Forms)
9:00 - 9:45, Thomas J. Griggs
- The Lawyers Role in Drafting Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Marital Agreements
- Marital Settlement Agreements
- Ethical Dilemmas in Family Law
9:45 - 10:45, Monica Donaldson Stewart
- Understanding the Client/Lawyer Relationship
- Representing Both Sides
- Determining and Collecting Attorneys' Fees
- Maintaining Confidentiality
- Communicating With the Adverse Party
- Working Through Custody and Visitation Issues
11:00 - 12:00, Mervyn T. Braude
- Understanding the Pros and Cons of Joint Custody
- Temporary and Preliminary Orders
- Handling Visitation Issues for Non-Custodial Parents
- Dealing With Grandparent and Third-Party Rights
- Parental Alienation and Relocation
- Establishing and Challenging Paternity
- Termination of Parental Rights
- Custody Hearings
- Modification of Custody and Visitation Agreements
- Stipulations, Consent Decrees, Merger and Rule 69 Agreements
1:00 - 1:45, Bonnie L. Booden
- Benefits of Stipulations
- Drafting Stipulations
- Consent Decrees
- Drafting Consent Decrees
- Provisions That Must be Included
- Provisions That You Might Want
- What is Merger?
- How it can be Counter Productive to Your Client's Goals
- Rule 69 Agreements
- Technical Requirements
- Reasons to do a Rule 69 Agreement
- Enforcing a Rule 69 Agreement
- Lodging Final Documents
- What is Lodging?
- When do You do it?
- The Things That Happen After You do
- Reading and Interpreting Financial Documents
1:45 - 2:30, Laurence B. Hirsch
- Personal Documents
- 401K and IRA Funds
- Bank and Loan Statements
- Income Tax Returns
- Insurance Plans
- Investment Portfolios
- Business Statements
- Balance Sheets
- Income Statements
- Statement of Cash Flow
- Ratio Analysis
- Dividing Trust Assets in Divorce
2:45 - 3:30, James S. Osborn Popp
- Locating Trust Assets
- Valuation and Forensic Accountant Assistance
- Present and Future Value of Trust Asset
- Community Property and Equitable Distribution Laws
- Income Trusts and Remainder of Interests
- Family Limited Partnerships (FLP) and Limited Partners
- Establishing a Standard of Value
- Preparing Counterarguments
- "Fair Market Value" Approach on Assessing the Value of the FLP Share
- Tax Considerations and Transfer Fees of Trusts During Divorce
- Tax Ramifications of Transfer
- Transfer Fee
- Essential Litigation Strategies Needed to Prove Your Case
- Key Tactics Used to Prove Trusts as Assets
- Effective Strategies Used to Counter Argue Trusts as Assets
- Constitutional Conflict and Child Relocation
3:30 - 4:30, Thomas P. Alongi
- How do we Balance one Person's Fundamental Right to Migrate with Another's Fundamental Right to Parent a Child?