Oil and Gas Title Law - Mineral Rights Law Training Seminar
Taking You Step-by-Step Through Examination, Opinions and Curing Common Defects
Encountering clouds on oil and gas titles during examination is a common occurrence, and one that comes with a plethora of problematic and complex issues. Weighing title risks in these high-priced transactions is not something to be taken lightly. Sophisticated examination and title opinion techniques must be applied, as well as a thorough understanding of common defects and how to cure them. In this comprehensive title program, you'll learn practical search and examination tips, as well as how to prepare and negotiate comprehensive title opinions. You'll also dig deep into mineral and surface estate issues, gain remedies for resolving them, and learn techniques for curing other defects - register today!
- Gain drilling, division order and leasehold purchase title examination strategies.
- Learn how to negotiate and prepare comprehensive drilling, division order and leasehold title opinions.
- Explore severance of mineral rights and how to create a second chain of title.
- Find out how to create curative instruments for break in chain, foreclosure and estate issues.
- Go over the fundamentals of quiet title actions and walk through the process.
All times are shown in Eastern
- Drilling, Division Order and Leasehold Purchase Title Examination
10:00 - 11:15,
Brent D. Chicken
- Reviewing Surface, Mineral and Leasehold Ownership
- Search/Examination of Water Rights
- What to Look for in Surveys, Descriptions and Plats
- Who Owns Title to Lands Underlying Parcels?
- What to Look for in Court Decrees
- Examination of Missing Estate Information, Homestead Issues, Unprobated Estate Interests, Etc.
- Examination of Liens
- Unrecorded Instruments
- Reviewing Prior Deeds and Lease Agreements
- State/Federal Leases?
- Oil and Gas Agreements That Affect Title
- Ethical Issues/Areas of Malpractice in Oil and Gas Title Examination
- Negotiating, Structuring and Preparing Detailed Oil and Gas Title Opinions (with Examples)
11:30 - 12:45, Brent D. Chicken
- Top Problems and Pitfalls
- The Role of the Landman
- Drilling Title Opinions
- Division Order Title Opinions
- Lender's Title Opinions
- Leasehold Title Opinions
- Acquisition Title Opinions
- Supplemental Title Opinions
- Oil and Gas Title Endorsements and Exceptions
1:15 - 2:15, Brent D. Chicken
- Oil and Gas Title Defects (and How to Cure Them)
2:15 - 3:30,
Jack R. Luellen
- Surface and Mineral Owner Rights and Split Estates
- Severance of Mineral Rights: Methods, Legal Effects and Creating a Second Chain of Title
- Conflicts, Rights and Remedies of Owners of Fee and Mineral Interests
- Joint Tenancy and Tenancy in Common Title Issues
- Title Insurance Coverage for Separate Estates
- Break in Chain
- Prior Oil and Gas Leases
- Terminated Leases
- Active Wells
- Adverse Possession
- Water Rights
- Physical Encumbrances and Encroachments
- Prescriptive Easements
- Tax Sales
- Other Common Defects
- Quiet Title of Mineral Interests: A Practical Walkthrough
3:45 - 5:00, Jack R. Luellen
- Grounds for a Quiet Title Action
- Identifying All Interested Parties
- Mechanics of a Quiet Title Action
- Jurisdictional Challenges