Managing Human Resources: 2 Day Workshop -
Human Resources Training Seminar
Get Ready for the Most Complete Course on Managing Human Resources Anywhere
Consider your daily challenges ...
Every day you walk into the office not knowing what to expect, though you know
you’ll likely face myriad super-tough problems. For example:
- A semi-hysterical employee comes to your
office complaining about his manager.
- You find that several supervisors are more
than 90 days late in turning in their employee performance reviews.
- An exasperated manager comes to you wanting to
terminate an employee, but she didn’t follow the company’s process for
- Your boss orders that health insurance costs
be cut again, even though you just spent weeks negotiating a really great
Sound familiar? And that’s only the half of it
The bigger picture ...
As difficult as your day-to-day “hot issues” seem, they pale in comparison to
your larger responsibilities as a human resources professional.
You are the key talent management strategist for the organization. You are
responsible for keeping up with employment laws and pertinent compliance
mandates. Your boss relies on you as a key member of the leadership team ...
though you’re often forced to be a “bad news” messenger, thanks to ever more
complex laws and escalating benefit costs.
Plus, you’re responsible for making sure your organization’s supervisors and
managers understand organizational policies and procedures ... as well as major
laws and compliance mandates ... and apply them consistently and correctly.
It’s a big, big, big job ... and unfortunately, it’s one that often does not
earn you the respect and appreciation you deserve because no one else
comprehends just how big your job really is.
This training makes your tough job easier and helps you be more successful!
There’s absolutely no better way to update your knowledge than by attending
Managing Human Resources. You’ll leave with tons of practical tools, techniques,
strategies, and guidelines you can use immediately to handle your role with
greater confidence and success.
Managing Human Resources Course Agenda:
The Purpose and Importance of Human Resources
- Why HR is vital to every person in the
- Understanding and aligning HR with the
organization’s essential goals
- HR Analytics: a critical thinking framework
- Values and ethics in HR
- HR’s role in making the company a great place
Recruiting, Interviewing, and Hiring
- Fair, legal hiring practices and the
importance of strategic staffing
- Creating and administering job applications —
both hard-copy and online
- What you need to know about preemployment
- Using social media for employee recruiting
- Types of employment interviews
- Interview questions that can NEVER be asked
- Best-practice recruiting tactics
- The pros and cons of noncompete agreements
- Don’t get hit with a big fat lawsuit! Know the
rules of using contract labor
- The dos and don’ts of reference checking
Employee Benefits Administration &
- Strategic benefits administration — you must
have a plan!
- Your new health insurance obligations under
- What benefits do other organizations offer? A
comparison of what’s out there
- A strategic approach to compensation
- Managing incentive plans the fair and legal
- Communicating your organization’s benefits and
clarifying who is responsible for what to staff
- The IRS and cafeteria benefit plans — what’s
- Administering COBRA — what are the rules and
what happens when a former employee breaks them?
- Top policies and procedures that you must have
- The Employee Handbook Audit Checklist
Federal Laws, Discrimination, and Compliance
- Know the laws and what they cover: FMLA, HIPAA,
ADA, ADEA, COBRA, EPA, ERISA, FLSA, PDA, Title VII, and more!
- Super-hot FLSA issues for employees who use
technology to work off-site
- Don’t blunder here! Understand medical
certification and the FMLA
- What constitutes age discrimination, and could
your company’s managers be crossing the line?
- How does the ADA define reasonable
- Top mistakes made in areas such as
discrimination, wrongful termination, reverse discrimination, exempt vs.
nonexempt classification, workplace bullying, domestic partner qualification,
- Legal land mines in OSHA and workplace safety
— know your rights and obligations
- Mental illness and the ADA — what you MUST
- Would your employees have a case for a hostile
work environment claim?
- How to investigate and handle sexual
harassment claims, employee discrimination claims, and other
- What you need to know about the Worker
Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
Employee Performance Management
- Creating a legal and effective employee
- Termination 101 — keep it legal, keep it safe
- The unbreakable rules of criticism and
- Discipline and termination documentation: your
best defense in court is thorough documentation
Handling Special Issues and Situations
- What you need to do when employees are called
to military service and active duty
- The ins and outs of handling garnishments
- Why and how to conduct effective diversity
training for every employee
- Keys to avoiding costly mistakes when handling
employee accidents and injuries on the job
- Protecting your organization from retaliation
- Social media use policies — what you can and
- Can you replace an older worker with a younger
one? What you need to know
- What’s legal when it comes to drug, alcohol,
and genetic testing?
- Workplace violence: keep your employees safe
and protect your company from liability
- The role of HR in times of change and
- Contingency planning for emergencies
Working With Your Organization’s Managers and
- HR’s role in supporting organizational
managers and supervisors
- Educating your organization’s leaders on
- Proper recruiting,
interviewing, hiring, and other staffing procedures
- Writing and maintaining
current, precise job descriptions
- Employee discipline and
- Maintaining a
discrimination-free and harassment-free work environment
- Onboarding new hires
- Performance appraisals
- Employee training
- Employee dress codes
- And more!
- Understanding the high cost of turnover and
how to work with managers to minimize it
- Do you really need to have an employee
handbook? Yes, and we’ll explain why!
Records Retention, Management, and Destruction
- What records do you need to keep and for how
- Managing electronic documents and paper
- Records management tips that’ll make your life
- What’s the safe way to retain records that
need to be kept?
- Creating a document destruction process
Managing Vendors and Suppliers
- What should you outsource?
- How to make vendors your strategic partners
- Getting the best prices and best terms
- Secrets of negotiating win-win deals
- Holding vendors responsible for their
commitments ... and what to do when they’re letting you down
- How to protect your organization from
suppliers who harass employees
Career Management: HR and the C-Suite
- Proving HR’s contribution to the bottom line
- Positioning yourself as a key member of the
top management team
- Important HR metrics that tell the tale of how
good you really are
- Prepping yourself for your career climb
- Where do you go from here? Career growth
strategies for HR pros
Our training seminars offer Continuing Education
Credits (based on contact hours) upon completion. Credits are issued by
Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center, Inc. according to the
guidelines set forth by IACET. Please note that Continuing Education Credit
approval is at the discretion of your licensing board; not all seminar topics
are approved by all boards. Contact your licensing board or agency for specific
information relating to your profession
SEMINAR TRAINING TIME:
Seminar Check-In 8:30 AM Seminar
Class 9:00 AM - 4:00
PM Both Days